CIRCLE Gathering 2016
How research plays a role in implementing the Truth and Reconciliation Commission Recommendations
The CIRCLE was pleased to host the 2016 CIRCLE Gathering (previously Learning Institute) at the Songhees Wellness Centre from June 7-10, 2016.
This year’s focus wasw on the role of research in the implementation of the Truth and Reconciliation (TRC) Recommendations, with particular emphasis education, cultural safety, and land and art-based learning. The four-day gathering provided a venue for intergenerational learning, knowledge transmission, and relationship building among researchers, health professionals, students, youth, Elders, and knowledge holders.
Participants had the opportunity to:
- Generate ideas that inform, prepare for, and undertake research that contributes to implementation of the TRC Recommendations
- Increase your knowledge of TRC Recommendations and their applications,
- Help develop new ideas and projects that address the TRC Recommendations,
- Engage in mentorships, partnerships and relationships amongst participants and their networks,
- Co-create new inclusive and diverse networks and connections, and increase diversity and reach of existing networks, and
- Develop skills and knowledge relevant to the focus areas of education, cultural safety, and land- and art-based learning