University Systems help centre
Create a rule: Outlook 2011 for Mac
When you create rules with Outlook 2011 for Mac, they will only run when Outlook is open. To create rules that work whether Outlook is open or not, you must create server-side rules using Outlook for Windows or Internet Explorer on a Windows PC. Once these server-side rules are set up, they will work when you check your email from any computer or device.
To filter email into a specific folder, you must create a folder and then create a rule:
- Right click on your account name in the sidebar and select New Folder.
- Type a name for the folder you just created.
- Click on the Tools menu and select Rules....
- In the Rules dialogue box, select Exchange. Click the plus sign (+) to add a new rule.
- Enter a name for your rule in the field provided. In this example, we have named the rule "Newsletter." Then, under the heading When a new message arrives, use the pull-down menu to select the desired criteria. In this example, we chose Subject for the first criteria and Is for the second. In the last field, type in the desired search term(s). If you need to add further criteria, click the plus sign to add further options.
- Under the heading Do the following, use the pull-down menu and make the desired changes. In this example, we chose Move Message as the first criteria. In the second pull-down menu, we chose the Newsletter folder we created in the steps above. (Note: if your folder does not appear in the list, you can search for a folder by selecting the Choose Folder... option from the pull-down menu.)
- Ensure the Enabled box is checked, then click on OK to finish adding your rule.