University Systems help centre
Create a rule: Outlook 2010 and 2013
Rules can be established based on various criteria such as senders, recipients and subjects. You can perform a number of tasks such as deleting messages, moving them to specific folders, and creating alerts. Using rules in Outlook 2010 or 2013 can help you manage your email more efficiently.
In this tutorial, we will walk you through an example of how to create a rule to send all accepted meeting responses to one specific folder. You can skip to step 4 if you already have a specific folder in mind.
- Under the Folder tab select New Folder to open the Create New Folder dialog box.
- Enter a name for your folder and select Mail and Post Items in the Folder contains drop-down menu. Scroll and highlight to select where you want to place the folder and click OK.
- Click on the Home tab. Click Rules and then Manage Rules & Alerts to open the Rules and Alerts dialog window.
- Click on New Rule... to open the Rules Wizard dialog box.
- Click on Move messages with specific words in the subject to a folder.
- Click on the specific words link to open the Search Text dialog box.
- Type the specified word in the field provided and click Add.
- Click OK to return to the Rules Wizard dialog box. Then click on the specified link to open the Rules and Alerts dialog box.
- Scroll and click to highlight the desired folder and click OK to return to the Rules Wizard dialog box.
- You will see that the link in the rule description has changed from specific words to Accepted and the specified folder link has changed to Accepted Meetings.
- Click on Finish to return to the Rules and Alerts dialog box. You will see that the rule has been created and is selected. Click OK to complete the rule process.