Victor V. Ramraj
Professor and CAPI Law Chair
Victor V. Ramraj
|Faculty of Law
University of Victoria
PO Box 1700, STN CSC
Victoria, BC V8W 2Y2
Victor V. Ramraj joined the University of Victoria as Professor of Law and CAPI Chair in Asia-Pacific Legal Relations in 2014, after sixteen years at the National University of Singapore (NUS). As an Associate Professor in the NUS Faculty of Law, he twice served as the Faculty’s Vice-Dean for Academic Affairs (2006-2010, 2011-2012). He was also twice seconded to the Center for Transnational Legal Studies (CTLS), a consortium of global law schools in London, and served for one year (2010-2011) as its co-director. Professor Ramraj holds five degrees from McGill University, the University of Toronto, and Queen’s University Belfast, served as a judicial law clerk at the Federal Court of Appeal in Ottawa and as a litigation lawyer in Toronto, and remains a non-practicing membership in the Law Society of Upper Canada. He has held visiting teaching appointments at Kyushu University and the University of Toronto.
Professor Ramraj has edited/co-edited several books published by Cambridge University Press, including Emergencies and the Limits of Legality (2009) and Emergency Powers in Asia: Exploring the Limits of Legality (2010). His work has been published in leading journals around the world, including Chicago-Kent Law Review, Hong Kong Law Journal, ICON: International Journal of Constitutional Law, Singapore Journal of Legal Studies, South African Journal on Human Rights, Tilburg Law Review, and Transnational Legal Theory.
His research interests include comparative constitutional and administrative law, transnational regulation, and the history of and regulatory challenges arising from state-company relationships in Asia. He is a regular participant in international workshops on comparative constitutional and administrative law. As CAPI Chair, he has organized several international conferences and workshops, including the Asia Desk Forum in April 2015, which provided an opportunity for lawyers, academics, government officials, and NGOs to examine a wide range of legal challenges and developments in Asia. At the University of Victoria, he teaches States, Companies, and Legal Orders in Asia, Transnational Law in Theory and Practice, and the graduate seminar on Applied Legal Methodology. In response to a rising wave of nationalism and protectionism, he is currently revising a book manuscript on how national legal orders respond to and interact with economic globalization.
- BA – McGill
- MA – U of T
- LLB – U of T
- LLM – Queen's University Belfast
- PhD – U of T
Books and Chapters
- Victor V. Ramraj, “Constitutional Interpretation in an Age of Globalization: Challenges and Prospects” in Jaclyn L. Neo, ed., Constitutional Interpretation in Singapore: Theory and Practice (London and New York: Routledge, 2016), pp. 341-62.
- Emergencies and the Limits of Legality (2009)
- Emergency Powers in Asia: Exploring the Limits of Legality (2010), Cambridge University Press
Articles and Papers
- Victor V. Ramraj, “Prospects for Judicial Review of Transnational Private Regulation: Singapore and Canada” (Tilburg Law Review, forthcoming 2016)
- Victor V. Ramraj, “Transnational Private Regulation and Domestic Public Law in Common Law Asia” invited lecture at the Centre for Comparative and Public Law, Faculty of Law, University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong, SAR, China (19 January 2015)
- Victor V. Ramraj, “Shifting Boundaries of Public Law in Singapore” presented at a conference at the National University of Singapore, Judging the Constitution: The Theory and Practice of Constitutional Interpretation in Singapore Workshop, Singapore (16 January 2015; also presented at a follow-up conference in Singapore by videoconference in May 2015)
- Victor V. Ramraj, "Language, Reconciliation, and Inclusion in Canada" presented at a seminar, Thailand’s Deep South Update: Language as Peacemaker, Institute of Security and International Studies Public Forum, Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok, Thailand (4 November 2015)
- Victor V. Ramraj, "Reimaging Constitutionalism", presented at the Trans-Pacific Comparative Public Law Roundtable, University of Washington School of Law, Seattle, USA (14-15 January 2016)
- Victor V. Ramraj, “Regulators without Borders: A Typology of Transnational Regulation” presented to the CBA International Law Section presentation (11 February 2016)
- Victor V. Ramraj, “The Role of Courts in Times of Crisis: Legal, Political, and Socio-Historical Perspectives” presented at Judicial Decision-Making During Conflict Conference, Seattle University, Seattle, USA (22-23 April 2016)
- Victor V. Ramraj, “Transnational Non-State Regulation and Domestic Administrative Law” presented at the Comparative Administrative Law Conference, Yale Law School, New Haven, USA (29-30 April 2016)
- Victor V. Ramraj, “Transnational Regulation and State Capitalism: A Public Law Perspective”, presented at the 13th ASLI Conference in Beijing, China (19-20 May 2016)
- Victor V. Ramraj, "Transnational Private Regulation as Institutional Bypass", paper to be presented at International Institutional Bypasses Workshop, São Paulo, Brazil, August 24th, 2016 (forthcoming)