Dr. Michael J. Prince, PhD (Exeter)
Lansdowne Professor of Social Policy
Office: HSD Bldg. Room B234
Dr. Prince teaches courses in disability, public health, social policy, and public administration. Research interests include trends in social policy over the past 50 years and the next generations; federal-provincial relations; indigenous governance; and disability politics and policy issues.
Disabling Poverty, Enabling Citizenship
Prince, Michael J. "Disabling Poverty, Enabling Citizenship." A Project of the Council of Canadians with Disabilities (CCD) Recommendations for Positive Change.
Copies of this report are available as a pdf.
Moss, Pamela and Michael J. Prince. "Weary Warriors: Power, Knowledge, and the Invisible Wounds of Soldiers." June 2014.
Rules and Unruliness
Doern, G. Bruce, Michael J. Prince and Richard Schultz. "Rules and Unruliness: Canadian Regulatory Democracy, Governance, Capitalism, and Welfarism." April 2014.
A ground-breaking study of how governments both regulate and fail to regulate the economy and society.
- The Star - June 18, 2014
Canadian Public Budgeting in the Age of Crises
Doern, G. Bruce, Allan M. Maslove and Michael J. Prince. "Canadian Public Budgeting in the Age of Crises: Shifting Budgetary Domains and Temporal Budgeting." 2013.
A broad look at attempts to address economic crises by various governments, with insights into how budget decisions are made.
Awarded the 2014 Donald Smiley Prize by a jury of colleagues in the Canadian Political Science Association as the best book published in English or French in the field relating to the study of government and politics in Canada in 2013.
Changing Politics of Canadian Social Policy
Rice, James J. and Michael J. Prince. "Changing Politics of Canadian Social Policy." University of Toronto Press, 2013.
Doern, G. Bruce and Michael J. Prince. "Three Bio-Realms: Biotechnology and the Governance of Food, Health and Life in Canada." University of Toronto Press, 2012.
- Canadian Book Review Annual, 2010
- British Journal of Canadian Studies, Volume 23, Issue 2 - 2010
- Canadian Public Administration, Vol. 53, Issue 4 - November 2010
- The Advocate - November 2010
- Journal of Social Policy - October 2010
- Canadian Journal of Political Science - June 2010
- Times Colonist - November 19, 2009
- Toronto Star - October 24, 2009
- Strait.com - October 22, 2009
- eBriefings.ca - October 22, 2009
Recent major presentations
- March 3, 2015, "The Provincial Budget:What does it mean for you and your family?" Budget Forum
- February 27, 2015, "Public Policies and Community Inclusions" Forum on Policies that Build Community, Community Living Ontario & Ryerson University School of Social Work and School of Disability Studies
- December 3, 2014 "Disabling Poverty, Enabling Citizenship" Presentation to the Manitoba Disabilities Issues Office, Celebrating the UN International Day of Persons with Disabilities, Canadian Museum for Human Rights, Winnipeg
- December 2, 2014 "Policy Reform options for community organizations to consider Presentation to a public forum Ottawa
- November 29, 2014 "A Social Policy Framework: What it Could Mean for British Columbia" Remarks to the Board Voice Society of BC 5th Annual Conference, Richmond
- November 25, 2014 "Coming Home, Coming to Terms: Transitions to civilian life of traumatized warriors" Presentation to the CIMVHR Forum, Toronto, byMichael J. Prince & Pamela Moss
- October 29, 2014 "What works: Employing people with disabilities" Presentation to the National Disability Authority, Annual Conference, Dublin, Ireland
- June 9-10, 2014 "Employment equality for canadians with Disabilities" Dignity for All: Labour, Employment, and Poverty Summit, Ottawa.
- February 6, 2014 "Canadian Public Budgeting in the Age of Crises" In Pursuit of Knowledge Lecture Series, University of Victoria, Continuing Studies.
- October 25, 2013 "Shelter and the Street: Housing, Homelessness, and Social Assistance in the Canadian Provinces Presentation" to Welfare Reform in Canada: Provincial Social Assistance in Comparative Perspective” Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy University of Regina & University of Saskatchewan
- October 25, 2013 "Entrenched Residualism: Social Assistance and People with Disabilities "Presentation" to Welfare Reform in Canada: Provincial Social Assistance in Comparative Perspective” Johnson Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy University of Regina & University of Saskatchewan
- July 19, 2013 "Disabling Poverty/Enabling Citizenship: income security reforms to advance dignity and inclusion in Canada"
- On July 19, I spoke at the United Nations in New York, delivering a session presentation at the 6th Congress of State Parties regarding the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities, which Canada ratified in 2010. The session, co-sponsored by the Government of Canada,the Canadian Association of Community Living and the Council of Canadians with Disabilities, focused on Article 28 of the Convention, the right to an adequate standard of living for individuals with disabilities and their families. I spoke on recent program developments at both the federal and provincial levels, and discussed current thinking on reforms regarding income security reforms to advance human dignity and social inclusion in Canada.
- June 5, 2013 “People with disabilities and employment: If Canada’s aging population is a dark cloud, is the social economy a silver lining?” Keynote Address to the Association of Nonprofit and Social Economy Research, Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Victoria
- June 4, 2013 "From Social Investment to the night watchman: shifting roles of the federal state in Canada" Presentation at the Annual Conference of the Canadian Political Science Association and of the Canadian Historical Association Panel on “Political Realignment and the Restructuring of the Canadian Social Contract”
- April 4, 2013 "Thoughts and Forecasts Related to the Upcoming B.C. Election" to Victoria Boards Together, Boards Together Meeting
- March 1, 2013 "Canada’s Welfare Regime: Implications of Recent Developments for Universalism, Universal Policy, and Social Citizenship Presentation" to The Political Economy of Social Policy in North America, St Antony’s College, University of Oxford
- February 25 2013, "Defining Our Future:public policy and desired directions" Presentation to the Centre for Inclusion and Citizenship Workshop on Future Trends
- Vancouver Public Library
- November 22, 2012 "From Welfare State to Social Investment to night watchman: shifting roles of the federal state in canada" Presentation to the Department of Politics and Public Administration, Ryerson University, Toronto
- November 1, 2012 "Universalism, Universality, and Universalization in Canadian Political Culture and Policy History" THE UNIVERSAL IN THE SOCIAL
- Presentation to the Social Science History Association 37th Annual Conference, Vancouver
- October 27, 2012 "Courchene and Policy Analysis: Retirement Income in a Fractured Social Canada" presented at Thinking Outside the Box: A Conference in Celebration of Thomas J. Courchene, School of Policy Studies, Queen’s University
- May 31, 2012 “Rethinking Knowledge and Power” from May 2012 a You Tube link (and the following information as well) Equity Panel 3: “Rethinking Creativity and Innovation from a Disability Studies Perspective” Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, Waterloo, Professor Prince’s remarks start at about 24.:25
- May 31 2012 "Rethinking Knowledge and Power: Reflections on the Disability Community in Canada" Presentation to the Canadian Disability Studies Association/Association Canadienne des Études sur L’Incapacité Wilfrid Laurier University, Congress 2012
- April 12, 2012 "Gazing into the Crystal Ball" Presentation to Second Wave in partnership with South Island Community Council, Community Living Victoria, and the Garth Homer Society
- March 30, 2012 "The Electoral Participation of Electors with Disabilities: Canadian Practices in a Comparative Context" Presentation to Elections Canada
- le 30 mars 2012 "PARTICIPATION ÉLECTORALE DES ÉLECTEURS HANDICAPÉS :PRATIQUES CANADIENNES DANS UN CONTEXTE DE COMPARAISON"
- Présenté à Élections Canada
- March 3, 2012 "Missing Connections: The Newcomer Settlement Sector, the Canadian Disability Community, and Social Exclusions" Remarks to the 14th National Metropolis Conference Future Immigration Policies: Challenges and Opportunities for Canada Toronto
- February 3, 2012 "Political Determinants of Health Care Policy in Canada" Remarks to the Social Dimensions of Health Program Colloquium, University of Victoria
- January 26, 2012 "Public Policy: Why it matters, What it's about, and How to advocate" Address to “Searching for Home: A National Forum” By the Canadian Association for Community Living & BCACL Vancouver
- January 12, 2012 "Advancing the participation of people with disabilities in the labour market: international practices and lessons" Presentation to Human Resources and Skills Development Canada Knowledge Talk
- 12 janvier 2012 "PROMOUVOIR LA PARTICIPATION DES PERSONNES HANDICAPÉES AU MARCHÉ DU TRAVAIL : PRATIQUES ET LEÇONS INTERNATIONALES" Présentation au Savoir actif de Ressources humaines et Développement des compétences Canada
- August, 30, 2011 "Canadian State – Voluntary Sector Relations" - Legacies, Public Administration Models, and Policy Issues, Presentation at the 63rd Annual IPAC Conference, Victoria, British Columbia
- August 19, 2011 "Platonic Interests? The Canada Pension Plan, Policy Reform Processes, and the De-Democratization of Politics" Remarks by Michael J. Prince at the Dobell Symposium, “A Fine Balance: Expertise, Evidence and Democracy in Policy and Governance”, University of Victoria, Victoria, BC
Major presentations 2003-2010
- 2010 "Fixing Our Pension Crisis" Presented by Michael J. Prince at Victoria Indy TV.
- December 13, 2010 "The political context of democratic engagement for people with disabilities" presentation by Michael J. Prince at the ARCH Disability Law Centre 30th Anniversary Celebratory Symposium “Human Rights for People with Disabilities: Today and Tomorrow” Toronto
- December 10, 2010 "Work and Employment: Article 27 of the Convention" presentation by Michael J. Prince, Honouring the Convention: A Call to Action in BC Disability Advisory Committee of the Community Legal Assistance Society, Vancouver, BC.
- December 10, 2010 "Strategies for social change: harnessing the Convention" presentation by Michael J. Prince, Honouring the Convention: A Call to Action in BC, Disability Advisory Committee of the Community Legal Assistance Society, Vancouver, BC.
- June 4, 2010 "Income Security" Remarks to the People First of Canada and Canadian Association for Community Living2010 Federal Policy Forum on Inclusion presented by Michael J. Prince, Ottawa.
- May 2010 "Fixing our Pension Crisis". In this video, Michael J. Prince gives us an overview of the current state of pension plans and retirement that Canadians are faced with. Video produced by ICTV Victoria.
- May 21, 2010 "Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth" remarks by Michael J. Prince and other witnesses at the BC Legislative Assembly 2010 Legislative Session: Second Session, 39th Parliament
- May 21, 2010 "Low-income Families in British Columbia: The Time is Now for a New Strategy" presentation by Michael J. Prince to the Select Standing Committee on Children and Youth, Legislative Assembly, Province of British Columbia. Morris J. Wosk Centre for Dialogue, Vancouver, BC.
- May 19, 2010 "Fixing Our Pension Crisis: Toward retirement security for everyone" presentation by Michael J. Prince for a Community Pension Forum, BCGEU Buildings, Victoria, BC.
- May 17, 2010 "Family Policy at Work: Employment Benefits, Women, and Labour Force Participation in Canada" presentation by Michael J. Prince to the West Coast Poverty Center. A Partnership of the School of Social Work, Daniel J. Evans School of Public Affairs and the College of Arts and Sciences. University of Washington, Seattle
- April 28, 2010 "Engaging in Disability Policy Development and Advocacy with the Canadian State" presentation by Michael J. Prince at the Canadian Disability Policy Alliance Meeting of CURA Partners, University of Regina.
- April 22, 2010 "Income Programs and Social Rights and Wrongs" remarks by Michael J. Prince for the Human Rights and Persons with Intellectual Disabilities Conference, Niagara Falls.
- April 9, 2010 "The Fluidity of the Military: a Post-Structural Approach to Institutions, Power and Bodies" by Michael J. Prince and Pamela Moss, University of Victoria.
- March 18, 2010 - "Absent Citizens - Making Citizenship Accessible" by Michael J. Prince at York University, Vanier College. "Absent Citizens - Making Citzenship Accessible" Powerpoint presentation.
- February 17, 2010 - "The Role of Publishing in Academic Life" by Michael J. Prince at the Third Annual Graduate Student Summit, University of Victoria.
- February 15, 2010 - SENIOR’S FORUM: A Conversation with Lansdowne Professor Michael Prince and Elizabeth May
- Shoal Centre, Resthaven; Sidney, B.C.
- February 3, 2010 - "Working Together on Employment",People with Disabilities, Labour Markets, Public Policies, and Canadian Federalism presented by Michael J. Prince for the Disabilities Health Research Network Speaker Series.
- October 8, 2009 - "Pride & Prejudice: Canadian Ambivalence Toward Inclusion", Inaugural Colloquium at the Centre for Inclusion and Citizenship, School of Social Work, University of British Columbia.
- September 25, 2009 - "Getting Research Into Policy and Practice: Whose Job Is It"? The case for researchers promoting their enquiries", Remarks by Michael J. Prince, Thea Korner House, University of British Columbia.
- September 25, 2009 - "Identifying Policy Priorities and Communicating with Decision Makers", by Michael J. Prince. Presentation to the “Bridging Research and Policy: Changing Practice and Influencing Policy.” Rehabilitation Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, University of British Columbia
- September 14, 2009 - "Registering with the State: Are Lobbying Rules Registering with the Public"? by Michael J. Prince. Keynote Address to the 2009 Annual Meeting of the Lobbyist Registrars and Commissioners.
- June 22 , 2009 - " Bold Feasibilities: A New Policy Social Architecture For Canadians With Disabilities", Submission To Senate Sub-Committee on Cities, The Senate of Canada.
- June 18-19, 2009 - "Making the Invisible, Visible: Brain Injury, Personal Supports, and Income Security", 16th Annual G & B Johnson Brain Injury Conference, Courtenay, BC
- November 21, 2008 - "Advancing a National Anti-Poverty and Supports Agenda," Presentation to the Canadian Association for Community Living 50th Anniversary Conference, University of Victoria
- November 14, 2008 - "From Grassroots to Government: A Policy Perspective from BC," Remarks to the 14th Annual Canadian Association for Supported Employment, Vancouver
- September 30, 2008 - "Recent Constitutional Developments in Canada: Directions and Debates", Open Research Seminar, University of Edinburgh
- April 17, 2008 - The Subcommittee on Cities of the Standing Senate Committee on Social Affairs, Science and Technology report on the impact of the multiple factors and conditions that contribute to the health of Canada’s population— known collectively as the social determinants of health, as well as to examine and report on current social issues pertaining to Canada’s largest cities. It includes testimony from Michael J. Prince and three others on the issue of disability and poverty as regards Canada's population. Full Transcript
- March 12, 2008 - "Canadian Disability Policy: Trends, Reforms & Implications for Rehabilitation", “Celebrate Research Week” UBC Medical Student and Alumni Centre
- March 7, 2008 - "Labour Market Realities for People with Developmental Disabilities: How are we Doing in BC"?, BCACL Employment Forum Vancouver
- March 1, 2008 - "The Evolution of Social Policy in Canada and the Expression of Canada in Social Policy", Remarks to The Elder College, Malaspina University College Speaker Series, Nanaimo, BC
- December 13, 2007 - "Families and Public Policy Challenges in 2017," Third Annual Symposium of the Population, Work and Family Policy Research Collaboration, Ottawa Congress Centre
- November 23, 2007 - "Disability Policy in Canada: Building Blocks or Blocked Building?" CACL Forum Crowne Plaza Hotel, Ottawa
- November 22, 2007 - "Next Steps for Alleviating Poverty." (This is an abridgement of comments made at End Exclusion in Ottawa.)
- November 2, 2007 - "Disability Income Policy in Canada: Trends and Reform Ideas," Income and Employment Sector Forum, Toronto
- September 17, 2007 - "Federal Accountability Regimes and First Nations’ Governance in Canada," Remarks to the Council on Governmental Ethics Law Conference, Victoria, British Columbia
- June 22, 2007 - "Modernizing Health Care in British Columbia," Keynote Address, Health Authority Service Planning Forum
- April 12, 2007 - "Is it too late? Theorizing After a Research Report is Completed,"Presentation to HSD Research Day, University of Victoria
- April 2, 2007 - "Does Canada Need a National Disability Act? Should BC Enact a Disability Act?" Public Lecture
- October 2, 2006 - "Creating Spaces Between the Immediate and the Ideal: Family Service Workers in the Social Services," Remarks to the Recognition Event, Sponsored by the Association of Family Serving Agencies, “Appreciation of Family Service Work," Victoria, BC
- May 2006 - "General Romeo Dallaire’s Emotional Landscape: Peacekeeping, Genocide and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder in Rwanda," Emotional Geographies Conference, Queen’s University
- March 10, 2005 - "A National Strategy for Disability Supports: Where is the Government of Canada in this Social Project?"
- March 1, 2005 - The 2005 Federal Budget and Liberal Commitments to Canadians with Disabilities: Delivering, Dithering or Declining?
- September 16, 2004 - Canadian Disability Policy and Context, the Region’s Disability Action Plan, and Youth with Disabilities
- June 6, 2004 - Enhancing Government Accountabilityfor Disability Issues (PowerPoint presentation)
- May 28, 2004 - Enhancing the Rights and Well-being of Children, Youth, and Families Living with Disabilities
- 2003 - with Frances Abele, "Counsel for Canadian Federalsim: Aboriginal Governements and the Council of the Federation"
- September 23, 2003 - Respecting Family Caregivers: What's Been Happening Lately?
- April 5, 2003 - Democracy and Social Justice in British Columbia: Concepts, Challenges, and Choices
School & program websites
- Child and Youth Care
- Dispute Resolution
- Indigenous Governance
- Health Information Science
- Public Administration
- Public Health & Social Policy
- Social Work
- UVic Family Centre