|Faculty of Law
University of Victoria
PO Box 1700, STN CSC
Victoria, BC V8W 2Y2
I have been a faculty member since 2002. Before joining the faculty, I articled and practised as an associate with Swinton & Co. (now Miller Thomson) in Vancouver. After pursuing my LLM, I worked with the International Arbitration and Public International Law groups at Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer in Paris.
I currently teach International Arbitration, International Trade Law and Contracts. I am an internationally recognized scholar in international investment law and arbitration. In 2004, I created ita (investment treaty arbitration): a leading international research website focused on international investment treaty law and arbitration. Amongst other publications, I am the co-author of a leading treatise (Law and Practice of Investment Treaties: Standards of Treatment) and co-editor of Sustainable Development in World Investment Law.
I am actively engaged in a variety of academic and professional work, including as Associate Editor (Case & Comment) for the ICSID Review—Foreign Investment Law Journal, a contributor to the Investor-State Law Guide and Canadian treaty editor for Investment Claims. I am a regular contributor to the KluwerArbitrationBlog. In addition to my academic work, I advise governments, investors and non-State actors, and act as counsel and arbitrator in international arbitrations.
- BA Honours – King's College (1992)
- LLB – UVic (1995)
- LLM – University of Toronto (1999)
- "IIAs in the Americas" in M. Bungenberg, J. Griebel, S. Hobe and A. Reinisch eds., International Investment Law (Nomos –Hart Publishing, forthcoming 2013).
- "Canada" (with Céline Lévesque) in C. Brown, ed., Commentaries on Selected Model Investment Treaties (Oxford University Press, 2013).
- "Developments in IIA Treaty-Making" in A. DeMestral & C. Lévesque, eds, Improving International Investment Agreements (Routledge, 2012).
- "The Evolution of IIA Practice in Canada and the United States" (with Céline Lévesque) in A. De Mestral & C. Lévesque, eds, Improving International Investment Agreements (Routledge, 2012).
- "The Use of General Exceptions in IIAs: Increasing Legitimacy or Uncertainty" in A. De Mestral & C. Lévesque, eds, Improving International Investment Agreements (Routledge, 2012).
- "Investor Misconduct" in A. De Mestral & C. Lévesque, eds, Improving International Investment Agreements (Routledge, forthcoming April 2012).
- "Investor Misconduct: Jurisdiction, Admissibility or Merits" in C. Brown and K. Miles, Evolution in Investment Treaty Law and Arbitration (Cambridge University Press, 2011).
Professor Andrew Newcombe is co-editor of Sustainable Development in World Investment Law (Kluwer Law International, 2010), with Marie-Claire Cordonier Segger and Markus Gehring.
In 2009, Professor Andrew Newcombe and Dr Luis Paradell (Freshfields Bruckhaus Deringer) published Law and Practice of Investment Treaties: Standards of Treatment.