We've designed our MBA so you don't waste a minute of your time with us. However every program has its highlights, so here are ours:
Working with your MBA Professional Development Team, you develop the 'soft' skills and professionalism to prepare you for your career beyond MBA. Topics include:
- Opportunity Awareness
- Relationship Building
- Personal Marketing
- Professional Behaviour
- Self-directed Learning
- Cross-cultural Boundary Spanning
Co-op (Paid Internship) option
You have the option to apply what you've learned and gain valuable experience through one or two paid internships in a high-performance position. Hundreds of positions are posted each term. Companies our students have interned with include, but not limited to:
- HAECO, Hong Kong Aircraft Engineering Company
- RIM , Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
- Ministry of Finance, Gov’t of BC here in Victoria, BC, Canada
- Canadian Tire, Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- ABE Books (a division of Amazon), Victoria, BC, Canada
- Talisman Energy Corp., Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Emerson Co, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Imperial Oil, Calgary and Montreal, Canada
- KPMG, Silicon Valley, CA, USA
- Tranalta, Calgary, Canada
- Royal Bank of Canada, Vancouver, Canada
- L’Oreal, Paris, France
- HSBC, Canada and Hong Kong
- Fairmont Hotels, in Canada and internationally
- PricewaterhouseCoopers, Vancouver, Canada
- Scotia Bank, Canada and Malaysia
Our Executive Mentor Program connects you with experienced business leaders in our community eager to share their expertise, knowledge and experience with you. Through your relationship with your mentor, you add a real world perspective to your classroom learning.
Learn more about our Executive Mentor Program.
In the first year you participate in two consulting exercises called Integrative Management Exercise (IME) one in Victoria and one in China, India or Brazil. In your team, you research and analyze the client's issue then submit your recommendations to the company in both a team presentation and report.
Integrative Management Exercise (IME) In Victoria
The IME in Victoria may take a variety of forms: an internal case competition, a business simulation or a live business case with a local organization. Most recently, the IME was a case competition with a sustainability consulting focus. External judges included business consultants from local consulting firms.
International Integrative Management Exercise (IIME)
The International IME is a 10 to 12 day consulting project overseas. You apply both your cumulative business knowledge and develop your global mindset and skill-set.
In addition to the consulting project, other opportunities include:
- visiting multi-national and local businesses
- attending guest lectures on culture, government, finance, etc. at our partner universities
- networking with local business people
- meeting local MBA students.
In the 2013, our MBA students choose from among three IIMEs in the following countries:
- Beijing and Shanghai, China
- New Delhi and Hyderabad, India
- Sao Paulo and Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
To undertake an MBA is to prepare yourself for a leadership role in the workplace. We introduce and connect you to industry and business leaders who share their experiences. In the past five years, over 300 Distinguished Speakers have spoken to our MBA students about their ideas, insights and expertise, including:
- Your Career with a Gustavson MBA: Christian Kittleson, Finance Director and CFO, CHC Helicopters (Australasia)
- The Role of a CFO: Rob McLeod, CFO of Ritchie Bros.
- Careers in Foreign Service and How IT Can Can Help Companies with Their International Business: Andrew Shisko, Deputy Director and Trade Commissioner, International Trade Canada
- Corporate Governance and Ethics: Randy Decksheimer, KPMG Professional Practice Partner, British Columbia
- Experiences, Challenges and Opportunities as Entrepreneurs: Eric Jordan, Founder, PureEdge Solutions; Tony Melli, Founder, B-Found; and Robert Bennett, President and CEO, Municipal Software Corporation
- A Portfolio for Sustainable Development Integration in the Business: Dr. J. Ashley Nixon, Sustainable Development Advisor for Shell Canada
- How to be a Successful Consultant: Iraj Pourian, President and Chief Financial Officer, Sierra Systems
- Overcoming Barriers to Economic Growth in Canada: George Heller, President and CEO, Hudson Bay Company
- Corporate Social Responsibility: Bob Elton, President and CEO, BC Hydro