Secondary post-degree professional program (PDPP) - Diploma or BEd
The secondary post-degree professional programs are designed for degree holders who wish to teach at least one of the following subjects in a secondary school: art, biology, chemistry, computer science, English, French, general science, mathematics, music, physics, social studies, Spanish, teaching innovation in education, theatre.
Initial admission is to the Diploma in Secondary Teacher Education program. After completing the diploma program, you'll be eligible for a BC teaching certificate.
The Diploma in Secondary Teacher Education may be laddered into a Bachelor of Education degree. The number of units needed to qualify for the BEd depends on whether you were admitted to the diploma program with a music teaching area or not.
Note: If you don't have an undergraduate degree and wish to teach art or physical education, please see our BEd Secondary program page.
Secondary post-degree professional program with teaching areas other than music
You'll take 24 units of specified education courses in three terms over a 16-month period to qualify for a BC teaching certificate and a Diploma in Secondary Teacher Education.
An additional six units of thematically-related education courses are needed to qualify for a Bachelor of Education degree. To enable you to complete the BEd within 16 months, these six units are scheduled during the summer session preceeding the final term. This course work is often referred to as the "summer institute." Information about the summer institutes is provided to diploma students in December.
The courses needed for a BEd may be taken before or after you qualify for a teaching certificate. They must, however, be taken within 10 years of completing the final practicum.
Secondary post-degree professional program for students with a music teaching area
You'll take 15 units of specified education courses in two terms over an eight-month period to qualify for a teaching certificate and a Diploma in Secondary Teacher Education.
An additional 15 units, determined in consultation with an academic adviser, are needed to qualify for a Bachelor of Education degree. You're encouraged to choose thematically-related courses in order to develop another area of expertise relevant to the school curriculum.
The requirements for admission to this program are:
- an undergraduate degree from an accredited university,
- 3.0 units approved English, and
- written English competency requirement. See Regulation 8.1: Written English Competency or speak to an academic adviser in the Teacher Education Advising Office, and
- approved academic preparation in two teaching concentrations or in one teaching major with a grade-point average of at least 4.00 on a 9-point scale (equivalent to UVic’s B- grade) on the 300 and/or 400-level courses needed for each teaching concentration or teaching major, and
- a grade-point average of at least 3.0 on a 9-point scale (equivalent to UVic’s C+ grade) on your most recent session. If your most recent session is less than 12.0 units, you must have a grade-point average of at least 3.00 (equivalent to UVic’s C+ grade) on your most recent consecutive 12.0 units.
An interview may also be required.
All admission requirements must be completed by April 30 of the year you intend to enter this program.
For more information about approved English courses and teaching area requirements, go to:
Tuition is based on a per-unit fee which varies from year to year. See a breakdown of annual costs.
Additional costs will include books, miscellaneous fees, room and board, practicum travel and other living expenses.
Please note that tuition fees are subject to increase each year.
Applicants will be admitted to the program quota starting with the highest GPA (30-unit based on courses completed to December 31) working down to the lowest. Teaching areas must also be taken into consideration as there are quotas for each teaching area as well as for the overall program.
For further information contact an academic adviser in the Teacher Education Advising Office.