For students entering their first year of post-secondary studies in 2017/18:
- who'd like to be a secondary school PE teacher, read about the new routes for becoming a secondary school physical education teacher on the School of Exercise Science, Physical and Health Education website.
- who'd like to be a secondary school art teacher, read about the secondary post-degree professional program.
The information provided below applies only to those students who will have completed 12 units of post-secondary studies by April 30, 2017.
September 2017 art and/or physical education applicants:
- September entry
- five-year program
- application deadline: January 31, 2017
- Bachelor of Education (Secondary Curriculum) UVic Calendar entry
This program provides engaging, relevant and high-quality preparation for those who wish to work as a secondary school art or physical education teacher. Graduates receive a Bachelor of Education degree and are eligible to apply to the BC Teacher Regulation Branch for a professional teaching certificate. In British Columbia, teaching certificates are issued by the Ministry of Education's Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB).
French Immersion Specialization
With approval, the Professional Specialization Certificate in Teaching French Immersion may be taken concurrently with the BEd (Secondary Curriculum) program.
The certificate consists of four courses: two offered online in the winter session and two offered face-to-face in the summer session (normally in July). If admitted to the PSC, secondary teacher education students may begin taking courses in the summer session following year two. The final course must be taken in the fall term of year four. Refer to Continuing Studies’ website for more details about admission to the certificate program.
Students must meet with an Education adviser before applying to the PSC in Teaching French Immersion.
Approved English at UVic
Choose two from:
- ENGL 135 University Writing or Academic Reading and Writing or ENGL 215 The Writing of Expository Prose
- ENGL 146 The Literature of our Era
- ENGL 147 Great Moments in English Literature
- ENGL 200A English Literature to 1660
- ENGL 200B English Literature, 1660-1800
- ENGL 200C English Literature, 1800-1914
- ENGL 201 Introduction to Modernist Literature
- ENGL 202 Introduction to Canadian Literature
- ENGL 203 Introduction to American Literature
- ENGL 207 Introduction to Cultural Studies
- ENGL 208 Introduction to Women's Writing
- ENGL 209 Foundations of Literary Criticism
- ENGL 260 The Bible as Literature
- We can't accept technical or creative writing courses.
- We can't accept 3 units of English composition. At least one of your courses must be a literature course.
- Consult an Education adviser before taking a 'special topics' course. The adviser will need to see a course description or outline.
- Consult an Education adviser if you have any questions regarding the English requirements.
Written English competency
- This will be satisfied with a grade of C+ or higher in each of two approved English courses.
- You must satisfy this requirement before entering the final year of this program.
- Consult an Education adviser if you've completed any English course with less than a C+ grade.
Important! September 2017 will be the last year that new students will be admitted to this program.
If you've completed, or have in progress, at least 12 units of university-level coursework (8 courses) at UVic or another university or college:
Step #1 Review the admission requirements.
Step #2 Apply online by January 31 for entry in September of the same year.
Step #3, for PE applicants only: Go to the PE teaching area web page for additional information.
Step #4, for Indigenous applicants: Go to the Undergraduate apply page for additional information.
Note: If you've already completed an undergraduate degree and wish to become a secondary school teacher, please see BEd or Diploma Secondary PDPP.