News and stories
Visit our Flickr site for CARSA photos.
To simply say that UVic's new Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities will be an improvement over existing facilities is a huge understatement. This fact is becoming more and more apparent as construction on CARSA enters the final months.
Three UVic campus community members recently shared their thoughts about features of the new centre opening next year.
CanAssist supporters were thrilled by the chance to tour inside the new centre under construction and later to view some of the amazing technologies being developed for people with disabilities by the UVic organization.
An interview with veteran journalist (and UVic's 2014 Harvey S. Southam Visiting Lecturer) Tom Hawthorn looks at the benefits CARSA will bring to campus. From attracting budding Olympians and Paralympians to average Joes and Janes, Hawthorn lauds the capacity of CARSA to put Vancouver Island on the map.
When life gets bent out of shape, you can count on yoga at UVic to strike a balance. Students, staff and community members will soon enjoy a new yoga studio in CARSA.
- CanAssist perfectly positioned for a boost in student involvement
- Shooting hoops, reaching heights
- Training the community
- New rally song will raise CARSA's new roof
- CanAssist volunteer eager to move in
- Imagining CARSA with UVic alumnus and Olympian Barney Williams
- CARSA in the news: May 2013
- Riding towards the future: CARSA and the local community
- CanAssist looks forward to customized space in CARSA
- Vikes comes full circle
- CanAssist TeenWork program right at home
- Campaign Cabinet welcomes new co-chair
- CARSA to propel Youth Rugby Sevens Program
- Stone sculptors bring beauty and inspiration to CARSA event
- The Torch: A centre of activity - Spring 2014 alumni magazine
- The Ring: CARSA takes shape (photo) - Apr. 10, 2014
- Community Report: Sidebar column (PDF), bottom right corner - Nov. 17, 2013
- The Torch: A building for all abilities - Autumn 2013 alumni magazine
- YouTube Video: CARSA vision becoming a reality - Oct. 17, 2013
- The Ring: CARSA Facts & figures - Imagine the climbing wall - Oct. 2, 2013
- Vikes News: Howlers Rugby Award an example of the power of CARSA - Sept. 3, 2013
- Celebrating CARSA's foundation for the future - May 28, 2013
- Contract awarded to Campbell Construction Ltd. - Feb. 15, 2013
- UVic releases its new engagement framework - Feb. 6, 2013
- The Ring: UVic gets green light for CARSA facility - Sept. 17, 2012
- The Ring: UVic submits updated application to Saanich - June 1, 2012
- UVic proposes new parkade design - Apr. 28, 2012
- UVic shares feedback from initial open houses - Apr. 13, 2012
- UVic seeks input on five new parkade design option - March 8, 2012
- Open houses begin in first stage of new process - Feb. 22, 2012
- New process for five-phase CARSA consultation - Jan. 26, 2012