News and stories
Visit our Flickr site for CARSA photos.
Seven years ago, the potential users of the Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities (CARSA) sat down with members of UVic’s Facilities Management to discuss what they imagined the new facility would look like and do. Now the 17,700-square-metre building is ready to open on May 1 and Vikes Recreation Health and Fitness Programmer Amy Allen can’t wait.
There will be some service disruption at the Ian Stewart Complex (ISC) as recreation staff and operations relocate to the new Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities (CARSA).
As we begin to prepare for the exciting opening of CARSA this spring, we take a look back at some of the greatest moments within the walls of McKinnon Gymnasium for the Vikes, UVic and the entire community.
Two-year-old cyclist Declan is one of thousands of people with disabilities who have benefitted from CanAssist's customized technologies over the past 15 years. The move into CARSA will make its technology development and on-campus collaboration activities more effective than ever before.
Peninsula Co-op has come on board as the first coporate naming partner for CARSA, UVic's Centre for Athletics, Recreation and Special Abilities. A special announcement was held in front of the climbing tower to reveal the partnership on Nov. 4.
- August 2014: CARSA in the news
- Summer 2014: Inside CARSA
- June 2014: Supporters “blown away” by CanAssist technologies, CARSA facility
- May 2014: CARSA - A centre of activity
- April 2014: CanAssist perfectly positioned for a boost in student involvement
- March 2014: Tom Hawthorn on CARSA
- Feb. 2014: Shooting hoops, reaching heights
- Jan. 2014: Training the community
- Dec. 2013: CanAssist volunteer eager to move in
- Nov. 2013: Viewpoint on yoga at UVic
- Riding towards the future: CARSA and the local community
- Oct. 2013: New rally song will raise CARSA's new roof
- Oct 2013: CanAssist looks forward to customized space in CARSA
- Sept. 2013: Imagining CARSA with Olympian Barney Williams
- Aug. 2013: Vikes comes full circle
- Summer 2013: Campaign Cabinet welcomes new co-chair
- July 2013: CanAssist TeenWork program right at home
- May 2013: CARSA in the news
- June 2013: CARSA to propel Youth Rugby Sevens Program
- June 2013: Stone sculptors bring beauty and inspiration to CARSA event
- The Ring: (scroll down) Campus construction update - Sept. 2014
- The Torch: A centre of activity - Spring 2014 alumni magazine
- The Ring: CARSA takes shape (photo) - Apr. 10, 2014
- The Torch: A building for all abilities - Autumn 2013 alumni magazine
- YouTube Video: CARSA vision becoming a reality - Oct. 17, 2013
- The Ring: CARSA Facts & figures - Imagine the climbing wall - Oct. 2, 2013
- Vikes News: Rugby Award example of power of CARSA - Sept. 3, 2013
- News Release: Celebrating CARSA's foundation for the future - May 2013
- News Tip: Contract awarded to Campbell Construction - Feb. 2013
- News Tip: UVic releases its new engagement framework - Feb. 2013
- The Ring: UVic gets green light for CARSA facility - Sept. 2012
- The Ring: UVic submits updated application to Saanich - June 2012
- News Release: UVic proposes new parkade design - Apr. 2012
- News Release: UVic shares feedback from initial open houses - Apr. 2012
- News Release: UVic seeks input on new parkade design option - March 2012
- News Release: Open houses begin in first stage of new process - Feb. 2012
- News Release: New process for five-phase CARSA consultation - Jan. 2012