Skip to main content


Academic advising – Each faculty provides help called academic advising. Your academic adviser can help you plan your program and make sure you meet your graduation requirements.

Admissions assistant – After you apply to UVic you’ll be assigned an admission assistant. They’ll be able to answer any questions about your application.

Bachelor’s degree – Usually, this is a first-time degree in an undergraduate program. If you’ve just graduated from high school, you’ll probably be applying for a bachelor’s degree. You can get a bachelor’s degree in a variety of fields, including a Bachelor of Arts (BA), a Bachelor of Science (BSc) and a Bachelor of Engineering (BEng).

Bursary – A non-repayable financial award based on financial need and reasonable grades.

Certificate – Certificates are non-credit programs.

Co-op – Co-op is short for co-operative education. It is a program that allows students to gain work experience and earn money through paid work in jobs relevant to their studies. You can alternate terms in class with paid co-op work terms.

Counsellor – A counsellor offers short-term counselling for people whose problems are interfering with their performance or well-being. This can include personal counselling, career counselling or groups and workshops.

Diploma – Diplomas are non-credit programs.

Distance learning – Distance learning lets you take courses online. This allows you to live away from Victoria or have a more flexible learning schedule. Not all of our courses are offered online, but many are.

Dynamic learning – Dynamic or hands-on learning means learning outside the classroom. This might be taking a co-op term, studying abroad, working in a lab or going on a field school.

Exchange – An opportunity for you to pursue some of your studies at another institution while you remain a registered UVic student.

Faculty – A group of related departments or schools. UVic has 10 faculties: Business, Education, Engineering, Fine Arts, Human and Social Development, Humanities, Law, Graduate Studies, Science, and Social Sciences. Each faculty contains departments that run programs.

Field school – Field schools are experiential short-term courses that take you out of the classroom to do hands-on study and research in locations across Canada and around the world.

Full-time studies – An undergraduate student registered in 12 or more units of study (8 courses) over the fall and spring sessions (September to April) or 6 or more units of study (4 courses) in the summer Session (May to August).

Graduate student – A student who has received a bachelor's degree and is enrolled in a program leading to a master's or doctoral degree. If you’ve never attended post-secondary education before, you probably won’t be a graduate student.

Interdisciplinary – Combining studies from different subject areas. For example, our Visual Arts and Computer Science program.

Major – Your area of specialization within in your degree program. For example, you may be working towards a science degree with a major in biology.

Minor – An optional program that allows you to study in an area outside of your major program area. For example, you might add a journalism minor to your biology major.

Off-campus program – See distance learning.

Part-time studies – An undergraduate student registered in fewer than 12 units of study (8 courses) over the fall and spring sessions (September to April) or fewer than 6 units of study (4 courses) in the summer session (May to August).

Practicum – A work experience placement in a specialized field of study. The goal of practicum is to give students supervised practical experience in their field.

Professional programs – Specialized professional programs that students can enter after their bachelor's degree is fully or partially completed. For example, UVic Law.

Program – A program is the series of courses required to complete a degree. For example, a bachelor’s degree in anthropology will require different courses (and therefore have a different program) than a bachelor’s degree in music.

Recruiter – Our recruiters are the people who’ll help you before you apply to UVic. They’ll answer all your admissions-related questions up until you apply.

Residences – All on-campus housing buildings and units (sometimes also called dorms).

Scholarship – Scholarships are non-repayable awards that recognize outstanding academic achievement.

Supplemental applications – Some programs require additional information when you apply, such as personal essays or resumes.

Undergraduate student – Students registered in a program that leads to a bachelor’s degree or an undergraduate diploma. If you’ve just left high school, you’ll probably be an undergraduate student.

Units Units are our way of measuring a course’s value. A typical UVic course that runs for one term counts for 1.5 units. You’ll need 60 units of study to graduate from most programs at UVic. Some courses, like year-long courses, might count for 3 units.

Get more information on application terms.