Skip to main content

Visiting students

Students from any Canadian university or college can attend UVic as a visiting student. While at UVic, you can take up to five courses per term to count as credit toward your degree at your institution back home.

You must demonstrate that you are competent in the English language to attend UVic. If you’ve studied for at least four years at the high school or post-secondary level, and all of your instruction was in English, your transcripts are enough to prove proficiency. Learn about UVic’s English language requirements.

How to apply

1. Complete an online application

Submit your application to UVic through the EducationPlannerBC application service. When you are asked to select a program, choose "I am visiting from another institution on a letter of permission".

2. Submit your letter of permission

In addition to the online application, you must arrange for your university or college to send a letter of permission to Undergraduate Admissions.

The letter must include:

  • the session for which permission is given
  • the specific courses to be taken while you are visiting UVic

Your application will not be processed until this information is received.

If you want to extend your studies at UVic beyond the time frame listed in your letter of permission, you'll need to submit a new application. Contact Undergraduate Admissions for instructions.

Registering for courses

Your letter of permission identifies the courses that you want to take while visiting UVic. However, you will still need to register online for your courses after your application has been accepted.

  • You will receive an email from UVic's Office of the Registrar that will tell you when to register online for courses.
  • Prepare in advance by reviewing the tutorials and videos at

More information

Feel free to e-mail if you have any questions at all about visiting UVic from another Canadian university or college.