University Systems help centre
TSM installation and configuration: Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and Windows 10
- Click on Create, located under Nodes.
- Name your node appropriately by following the instructions on the administration page. Nodes have three components that must combine to make a unique name within TSM:
- The first component is your department code. Select the appropriate one from the drop-down list (by default, the department you are associated with will appear at the top of the list).
- The second is a sub-group name within your department. You can enter a pre-existing sub-group or create your own.
- The third can be anything you wish. You can also create an additional sub-group by separating values with a period.
Be sure to select your operating system from the corresponding drop-down list and click Create. If necessary, you can rename or remove accounts after they have been created.
Select your operating system:
|Don't know your operating system? Click on the Windows icon and then right click on Computer (or My Computer). Select Properties. Basic information, including the operating system and system type, will be displayed.
- A window will open. Save the TSMBAC file to a place where you can retrieve it later.
- Navigate to where you saved your TSMBAC file and double click on the file. (If you didn't specify where you wanted to save the file, it's likely stored in your Downloads folder.)
- Select Extract All. Leave the destination as is and click on Extract.
- A new window will open. Leave this window open and reference it again in Step 4 below. Double-click on the TSMBAC file. Select a location to save the files (we recommend leaving the default folder). Click the Next button.
- Select your installation language (i.e. English). Click OK.
- Eventually, you will see a welcome screen. Click Next.
- Leave the destination folder as is (c:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\) and click Next.
- Choose Typical as the setup type. Click Next.
- Click Install to begin the installation.
- You should see a screen informing you that the application was installed successfully.
- Double-click on the dsm.opt file to open. If prompted for a suitable application, select Notepad.
- Near the top of the file, under USER SETTINGS, replace the generic TSM NODEname with the TSM Node Name you registered for your computer. If you have forgotten your Node Name, login to the administration page to see your nodes.
- If you would like to specify which drive(s) on your computer you would like to have backed up, list the drive(s) under the DOMAIN ALL-LOCAL -SYSTEMOBJECT heading. Many computers use the letters C: or D: to represent their hard drives. If you leave the dsm.opt file as is, every drive on your computer will be backed up.
- Click Save As and leave the file name as dsm.opt and select All Files from the file type drop-down list.
- Save the file to your TSM>baclient folder (i.e. C:\Program Files\Tivoli\TSM\baclient). If you receive an administrator error when trying to save to the baclient folder, save the file to your desktop. Click Save.
- For Windows 8: Go to the Start Screen and click on the down arrow to view All Programs, then locate Tivoli Storage Manager. Right-click on Backup-Archive GUI and select Run as Administrator.
For Windows 10: Go to the Start Screen and click on All Apps, then scroll down to locate the Trivoli Storage Manager and click to open. Right-click on Backup-Archive GUI and select Run as Administrator.
- If the Configuration Wizard does not automatically begin, select Utilities > Setup Wizard from the top menu. Then check the box beside Help me configure the TSM Client Options File and click Next.
- Select Import from an existing options file for use.
- The correct file path should appear. If it doesn't, Browse your computer and click on This PC > Local Disk (C:) > tsm _images > TSM_BA_Client to locate the recently edited dsm.opt file and click Next.
- Your TSM Node Name should appear in the Node Name field. If it doesn't you may have configured your dsm.opt file incorrectly. Click Next.
- Select TCP/IP as the communication method.
- For the Server Address, type backup.uvic.ca. Leave the port as 1500.
- You may specify which folders and file types to include or exclude. We recommend keeping the default settings, as specified in the dsm.opt file. Click Next until you get to the Apply and Finish options.
- If prompted, enter your node name and password.
- TSM configuration should now be complete. Click Finish.