University Systems help centre
Connect to UVic: Windows XP
If the above doesn't work, please follow the manual instructions listed below. After the initial configuration, you should automatically connect to UVic (the secure wireless network) when you are using UVic's wireless network.
- Before you start this procedure, ensure the following:
- Your wireless card and its drivers have been installed and you have rebooted your laptop since the installation.
- Your laptop is powered on and booted up.
- You are in an area with wireless coverage.
- You have a NetLink ID and password.
- You are using Windows to manage your wireless connections. If you are using a third-party application (sometimes network adaptors come with their own applications), you may experience problems during the configuration process.
- Temporarily connect to the Internet using UVic Open, an Ethernet port, or your home network. Download the security certificate by right clicking thawte Primary Root CA and saving the thawte.cer file to your computer. Once the file is saved to your computer, locate the file and double click on it to install the certificate.
- Open your Start menu and drag your cursor over Connect To. Right click Wireless Network Connection and choose Properties.
- Click on the Wireless Networks tab, located at the top of the window. Ensure that the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings checkbox is selected. Then click the Add... button.
- In the Network name (SSID) field, enter UVic (case sensitive).
- Click on the Authentication tab, located at the top of the window. Change the EAP Type to Protected EAP (PEAP). Then click Properties.
- Check the box beside thawte Primary Root CA in the list of Trusted Root Certification Authorities. Ensure that the Authentication Method is Secure password (EAP-MSCHAP v2). Click Configure.
Note: If you cannot find the correct certificate listed, please return to step 2 to download the certificate.
- Deselect the checkbox for Automatically use my Windows logon name.... and click OK.
- Click OK on the remaining windows. In the bottom-right corner of your screen, you should see a small window pop up informing you that a certificate or other credentials are required to connect. Click on it to provide additional information.
- Enter your personal NetLink ID in the User name field, and your NetLink ID password in the Password field. Enter UVIC (case sensitive) in the Logon domain field. Click OK.
- Click on the Wireless Network Connection window when it pops up again.
- Click OK when prompted to Validate Server Certificate. The certificate should appear as the thawte Primary Root CA.
You should now be connected to the UVic secure wireless network.
- Connect to eduroam: HTC mobile device
- Connect to eduroam: Mac OS X 10.5 or newer
- Connect to eduroam: Windows 7
- Connect to eduroam: Windows Vista
- Connect to eduroam: Windows XP
- Connect to UVic: Android version 4 and newer
- Connect to UVic: iPhone or iPod Touch
- Connect to UVic: OS 10.5 and newer
- Connect to UVic: Windows 7 and Vista
- Connect to UVic: Windows XP
- Connect to UVic Wireless: eduroam
- Wireless Internet