University Systems help centre
Using a PGP Portable device: Windows
For instructions on how to create a device with a standalone PGP instance, see Encrypt a portable device with PGP: Windows. Although you can only encrypt a portable device using Windows, you can use the PGP Portable device on Windows and Mac machines. Before you can install PGP Whole Disk Encryption, you must have already purchased the license from the Technology Solutions Centre.
- Plug the encrypted device into your computer. Navigate to your Computer (My Computer on Windows XP) and double click the PGP Portable icon.
- Double click PGP Portable.exe.
- Type your PGP Portable device's passphrase and click the checkmark icon.
- You can now work with the files on the PGP Portable device. When you are finished working with the PGP Portable device, you MUST unmount the device properly by ejecting it from the computer. Failure to do so will result in file corruption, which may cause you to permanently lose access to the contents of your device. To unmount the device, click the PGP Portable icon in the system tray (bottom-right corner of your desktop) and select Unmount and Exit.
- You will see an indication that the drive was unmounted.
- To eject the device, right click on the USB icon and click Eject.
- Physically remove the device from the computer and store it in a secure place.