Skip to main content

Course registration

If you previously registered in credit courses at UVic and have been away for more than one year, you'll need to apply for readmission. You can return to your previous program or choose a new one.

Important dates & deadlines

The academic calendar lists registration dates for undergraduate courses, including:

  • the first and last days of classes
  • deadline to add courses
  • deadlines to drop courses
  • non-standard course dates

Academic advising

Before you choose and register for courses, you may want to meet with an academic adviser to understand your options and get on the right path toward graduation.

When to register

You'll receive an email from UVic when your registration date and time are assigned.

  • registration emails will be sent to the preferred email address indicated in your personal profile
  • make sure to add "" to your email safe senders so you don't miss any important emails

After you receive your registration email, you'll be able to check your registration status in Online tools.

How to view your registration status

During the registration period, UVic limits the number of students who register each day to ensure that the registration system doesn't get overloaded. You can register on or after your assigned date and time (often referred to as your "time ticket").

Registration time tickets are always assigned on weekdays, and never fall on weekends or statutory holidays.

All students are categorized by year level and then ranked in order by grade point average (GPA). The order for categories of students to access registration is normally as follows:

  1. Students with priority registration (e.g., student athletes)
  2. New Year 1 undergraduate students with scholarships
  3. Graduate students; Law students in years 3 and 4; Law students with priority registration
  4. New Year 1 undergraduate students without scholarships; Year 2 law students
  5. Year 5 undergraduate students
  6. Year 4 undergraduate students
  7. Diploma and certificate students
  8. Year 3 undergraduate students
  9. Non-degree students
  10. Year 2 undergraduate students
  11. Returning Year 1 undergraduate students
  12. Undergraduate students with other classifications (e.g., Visiting, Discovery)

Students on academic probation usually register on the same dates as other students in their year, but are given the last available time slots.

Your year level is determined by the number of units of course work you've completed.

  • Year 1 - Fewer than 12 units completed
  • Year 2 - 12 to 26.5 units completed
  • Year 3 - 27 to 41.5 units completed
  • Year 4 in a 4-year program - 42 or more units completed
  • Year 4 in a 5-year program - 42 to 56.5 units completed
  • Year 5 in a 5-year program - 57 or above units completed

Prerequisites & corequisites

When you're picking your courses, check the academic calendar to see if it has prerequisites or corequisites.

  • A prerequisite is a course or requirement that must be completed before you can take a particular course.
  • A corequisite is a course or other requirement that must be completed before or at the same time as a particular course.

If you don't have a required prerequisite or corequisite, you'll be dropped from the course once the term has begun.

In rare cases, the prerequisites or corequisites for a particular course may be waived. Contact the academic department to request permission. Any waivers you have been granted will show on the "Registration status" page.

Transfer credit

If you've received transfer credit for a course taken at another school and want to use it as a prerequisite, contact the academic department offering the course you want to take. Do this before you register to ensure that the prerequisite will be recognized, or you may be dropped from the course.

Duplicate & mutually exclusive courses

There are some courses you might need to take even if you won't receive credit for them. Duplicate and mutually exclusive courses may be necessary for program requirements or to satisfy minimum grade requirements.

Individually supervised courses

Individually supervised studies can be directed studies courses or regular courses that you take under individual supervision.

Course changes and cancellations

If you're enrolled in classes and a change or update occurs after registration, you'll be contacted at the preferred email address in your personal profile. Individual course section updates will come directly from the academic unit offering the course.

If a course is cancelled or changed, consult your adviser to discuss any concerns about completing your program requirements.

Auditing courses

Auditing a course means attending it informally without getting academic credit. You can audit up to three units of undergraduate courses in an academic session (most courses are equivalent to 1.5 units).