Death cap mushrooms

According to the BC Centre for Disease Control death cap mushrooms are a risk to humans and animals if ingested. These mushrooms are extremely poisonous and can lead to liver and kidney damage as well as death. Death cap mushrooms can be found in many locations in the Capital Region, including the University of Victoria.

If you suspect you have eaten a death cap mushroom seek medical attention immediately at a hospital emergency room. Do not delay – early treatment is important. Bring samples of the mushroom you ate with you and provide information about where the mushrooms were found.

Symptoms of deathcap mushroom poisoning, including low blood pressure, nausea and vomiting, begin 8 to 12 hours after ingestion. After 24 hours the symptoms may disappear and you may feel fine for up to 72 hours. Symptoms of liver and kidney damage begin 3 to 6 days after the mushrooms have been eaten.

Please visit the BCCDC or Island Health websites for more information on the death cap mushroom, including the dangers of eating these mushrooms, their key characteristics, and what to do if you see or ingest them.

This information is used with permission from the BC Centre for Disease Control.