Frequently asked questions

The basics:

Where and how do I use my UVic ONECard?

Your ONECard has a magnetic swipe and is also a contactless card.

The swipe is used for Vikes Recreation access, U-Pass and UVic libraries.

The contactless chip lets you "tap and go" at point-of-sale readers. It debits the funds directly from your ONECard account. 

Is my UVic ONECard transferable?

No. Your ONECard is non-transferable and can be used only by you.

In the event your card is used by someone else, the card will be confiscated and you may be subject to sanctions, pursuant to university policies. This includes the policy on academic fraud.

Please read the ONECard terms and conditions for more information.

Does my UVic ONECard expire?

UVic ONECards do not expire if you continue to attend the University of Victoria as a student, are a faculty/staff member or remain active within our systems such as a retiree or alumni. Services associated to your card may expire.

Returning to campus

If you leave the UVic community but return, your UVic ONECard can be re-activated. Please bring this card with you to the ONECard office for re-activation or a replacement fee will be charged.  

Returning students can reactivate their U-Pass at any BC Transit U-Pass kiosk on campus.

I am staff and a student... can I have two cards?

No, only a single UVic ID ONECard may be active at a time.

Your ONECard has five designations available for personalization including faculty/staff, grad, student, alumni and UVic retiree (known as affiliate).  

At the time your ONECard is issued, you may choose your preferred designation based on eligibility.

If your designation changes witin the year, you may change your card designation but you'll have to forfeit your original ONECard for a replacement or be charged a $20.00 replacement fee. 

Will my student U-Pass work on my staff card?

Yes, if you are both student and staff, your U-Pass privileges can be assigned to the ONECard printed with your appropriate designation.

Does my card cost anything?

The current cost of a regular ONECard is $20, however, the ONECard Program covers the cost of the first ONECard issued for students enrolled at the University of Victoria including employees. All replacements are available at a cost of $20 per card.

Why do I have to pay for a replacement?

The ONECard Program does not operate on funding from the University but rather operates on a cost recovery basis. The fee for replacement cards goes towards purchase of cards, ribbons, equipment, staff, and general operation costs. While we fund the issuance of the first card for students and staff, all re-issued ONECards are subject to a $20 replacement fee.

Where can I find information about both my flex account and meal plan account?

You can find out more on UVic's meal plan options on the University Food Services website.

Your preferred name & name changes:

What is a preferred name?

A preferred first name is a name that you commonly use that may be different from your legal first name. Please ensure your preferred name is listed in MyPage and it will be printed on the ONECard.  Inappropriate use of a preferred name or the use of inappropriate language will not be printed on your card. 

Limitations include:

  • No symbols, numbers, unusual capitalization, repeating characters or punctuation (as our system has no ability to print special characters or symbols)
  • No characters from multiple languages (again, a printing constraint)
  • No titles of any kind, ex. professional or religious
  • No offensive or suggestive words of any kind

How do I indicate my preferred first name for my ONECard?

Ensure your preferred name is in My page before obtaining your ONECard.  

All name changes after submitting a photo online and the card is printed will be a $20.00 card fee.

Where does my preferred name appear?

Your preferred first name appears on:

  • the student record
  • class and grade lists of courses
  • Brightspace
  • onecard
  • some university communications

Your legal first name appears on:

  • official letters and transcript
  • tax forms
  • your diploma 

What are the possible impacts of using a preferred name?

Official documents are often used to verify your identity when applying for work or additional education.

Some employers, licensing bodies or other educational institutions may question the use of a preferred name in daily or informal correspondence. This discrepancy happens when institutions rely on legal names to be used consistently.

If someone is using a preferred name consistently, this may cause some confusion in situations where official documents have to be provided.  For example, employers might be confused about a UVic student portfolio that uses a preferred name while the transcripts use a legal name.

Of course, none of this means you shouldn’t use a preferred name if you are more comfortable with it. But we want you to be aware of possible impacts.

More information on name and gender changes for students.

What should I do if I have an official name change?

If you have an official/legal name change, please make an appointment to visit the ONECard office. Please bring one of the following to your appointment:

  • either a marriage or divorce certificate (if applicable)
  • the official name change certificate 
  • one piece of government issued photo identification   

Name changes after a ONECard is issued will be subject to a $20 card replacement fee.

More information on name and gender changes for students.

Online & financial:

How do I log in online?

You can access your account information and add funds on My page.

You’ll need your NetLink ID and password to log in.

How do I gift funds to an account?

In order to gift funds to an account, you will need to enter the card holder's V00# (9 digit) identification number and year of birth (MM/DD/YY).

How can I check my balance?

There are a few ways to check your balance:

You can also set a low balance email reminder. You can do this in the “Notifications” tab in the ONECard Account section on My page.

Are my funds and U-Pass active when I pick up my ONECard?

When your card is made, it is active and your balance will be provided to you.

If you are registered in at least one on-campus credit course, your card will have the U-Pass encoded on it for the duration of that course.

When you re-register for courses charging you the U-Pass fee, you must update your ONECard at the U-Pass self-service kiosks. You’ll only be able to update your U-Pass after 24 hours have passed since you registered for courses.

Is there a maximum amount of money I can deposit to my Flex account?

Yes, we have a maximum balance amount on the ONECard flex account of $2000.00.  

Does my account become dormant?

Any account that has been dormant for three years will be deemed inactive. Any funds remaining will revert into a holding account. The funds can be re-activated at any time by visiting the ONECard office in person.

Lost or stolen cards:

What should I do if I find a UVic ONECard?

Bring it to either the UVic ONECard Office in the lobby of the Jamie Cassels Centre or drop it off at Campus Security (near the bus loop and the bookstore).

I lost my ONECard

Login to your onecard account and freeze your onecard. You are responsible for all transactions made prior to the funds being frozen.  If you find your ONECard after you have frozen it, take it to the ONECard office to have it reactivated.  Once a card has been replaced with a new one, we can't reactivate the older card.  

ONECard security:

What type of technology does the ONECard use?

The UVic ONECard is a MIFARE Classic smart card that communicates via Near Field Communication (NFC).

MIFARE is an industry standard technology with millions of cards in circulation around the world. The technology is commonly used for campus card systems, transit, and door access control.

Do I have door access using my ONECard?

Some users will have door access control assigned as a privilege. Depending on your department, some students, faculty and staff may have door access control using their ONECard.  

What information is stored on my ONECard?

The contactless chip of your ONECard stores your UVic ID number, a site ID used to distinguish your card from other institutions, and the issue number of your card.

Account balances and funds are not stored on the ONECard.

Is my ONECard secure and encrypted?

All ONECard information is encrypted using standard MIFARE Classic encryption. In addition, the data blocks of the contactless chip are encrypted using AES-256 encryption using a separate security key from the one used to encrypt the card itself.

Can the information on my ONECard be read from a distance or from within my wallet?

The UVic ONECard uses Near Field Communication (NFC) technology which requires another NFC-enabled device to be within 50mm to communicate. The information on the card is encrypted, and will only work with UVic's ONECard system for payment.

If you have any other questions about the ONECard, email the UVic ONECard office at or the University Food Services office at .