In the Know: Thinking about applying for permanent residency in Canada?

UVic Global Community Newsletter: November 8, 2021

In the Know: Advice for International Students is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes valuable information and important dates for undergraduate and graduate international students in the following categories: degree-seeking, incoming exchange, and incoming study abroad.

Canada is ranked as one of the best countries to live in the world. It is possible that after having studied, lived and worked in Canada, you want to stay in Canada permanently. There are several pathways to immigrate to Canada. Depending on your qualifications, you may be eligible to apply for permanent residency in Canada now or in the future.

Study, work and stay in Canada

As a temporary resident in Canada, the length of your stay is usually determined by a Canadian immigration document (e.g., study permit, work permit, visitor record).

As an international student, you are expected to be compliant with the conditions imposed by Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) for the whole duration of your studies in Canada. You must plan to either leave Canada before your study permit becomes invalid or apply for a study permit extension if you need more time to complete your program at UVic. We strongly recommend that you extend your study permit at least 120 days before it expires for the continuity of your BC MSP coverage.

If you want to stay in Canada temporarily to work after graduation, you may be eligible for a Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP).

If getting a PGWP is not an option for your, you may still be eligible for other work permits.

For more information about your immigration documents, refer to our office website - Living in Canada pages. If you have questions about your study permit conditions or need guidance to extend your student immigration documents, you can contact the International Student Advising (ISA) team.

Can I get advice on permanent residency in Canada from International Student Advisers at UVic?

Our advisers cannot answer questions related to permanent residency applications or assess eligible programs as those questions are out of our scope of practice.

At UVic, International Student Advisers (ISAs) can only advise on a limited range of immigration issues for UVic international students and their accompanying family members. We are specialized in international student programs (e.g., study permits, co-op work permits, post-graduation work permits).

Pathways to Permanent Residency Information Session

While International Student Advisers (ISAs) can’t advise on Canadian permanent residency or citizenship, we recognize that permanent residency is a topic that concerns many of our international students. Our team regularly invites subject experts to provide information on pathways to permanent residence programs in Canada. Our next pathways to permanent residence information session is scheduled for November 26, 2021 where a Canadian immigration lawyer will provide an overview of the immigration programs available and answer questions submitted by students.

Here are some additional resources available to you:

Upcoming Events:

November 24: Post-Graduation Work Permit Information Session

November 26: Pathways to Permanent Residence Information Session

Want to know what else is going on? Join the to receive regular updates about opportunities and events both on and off campus.