In the Know: End of First Term

UVic Global Community Newsletter: November 22, 2021

In the Know: Advice for International Students is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes valuable information and important dates for undergraduate and graduate international students in the following categories: degree-seeking, incoming exchange, and incoming study abroad/visiting.

Are you leaving UVic after this term?

Maybe you are finishing up your UVic degree program. Maybe you plan to take a break from your studies at UVic. Or, maybe you will return home to finish your program after spending a few months studying at UVic.

No matter your reason for leaving UVic, take a moment to consider the following questions.

Will you stay in Canada?

Make sure your status in Canada matches the reason for your stay.

To work:

  • You may be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) AFTER successfully completing all your program requirements. Our International Student Advisers can support you to apply for a PGWP and discuss your work authorization while your application is being processed. 
  • If you want to take a break from your studies during regular academic sessions at UVic and stay in Canada, you should contact International Centre for Students to discuss potential implications on your student status and work authorization. 

Career Services is a wonderful resource available to all UVic students and alumni. They can help you search for employment and navigate your career in Canada.

As an international student in Canada, the onus is on you to understand the restrictions associated with working in Canada, and never work without the proper authorization. 

Note: Working in Canada when you are not authorized to do so may result in enforcement actions taken by the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA). It could also negatively impact your current temporary resident status and any future applications you make under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act and its regulations.

To study:

  • If you have a valid study permit and will transfer to another institution in Canada, you will need to notify IRCC when you change institutions. Or, if your study permit will expire soon, you must talk to your future institution to extend your study permit. 

As a visitor:

Will you move out of your current residence?

Ideas for keeping your stuff out of the garbage:

Other things you may need to take care of:

  • Do you live on campus? Have you connected with Residence Services for guidance about moving out?
  • Do you live off campus? Have you given your landlord or roommates written notice? Make sure you understand your responsibilities as a tenant.
  • Consider each account that is in your name, such as your bank account, mobile phone, hydro, internet, cable, etc. Do you need to update your address, or do you need to cancel the account?
  • If you will leave British Columbia (BC) permanently, and you have BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage, you must cancel your account.
  • If you will leave British Columbia (BC) temporarily, and you have BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage, contact Health Insurance BC by phone and ask to speak with an enrolment specialist about your options.
  • If you have extended health insurance through the UVic plan for undergraduate students, visit the UVSS Info Booth in the SUB to discuss your options or visit their website for more details.
  • If you have extended health insurance through the UVic plan for graduate students, contact the GSS Office in the Halpern Centre to discuss your options or visit their website for more details.

Whether you spent four months or four years at UVic, your time here will have influenced your perspective of the world. You might think that moving to a new country and culture was the most challenging part of your international student experience, but returning home after spending time away is often just as challenging.

It is common for international students to experience a transition called "reverse culture shock". Refer to the “Re-Entry for International Students” website for information and tips to overcome reverse culture shock. The content is written for students returning home after time away from their home country.

Will you continue your studies at UVic in January 2022?

Take a moment to consider your plans for winter break.

  • If you plan to work in Canada during the winter break (December 21– January 04), refer to the information about work authorization for international students on our website.
  • Always make sure you understand the restrictions associated with working in Canada, and never work without the proper authorization.
  • If you live on campus, and you plan to stay in Residence during the winter break, and you have not yet requested permission, please email as soon as possible to request permission.

Are you travelling inside or outside Canada?

Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, travel restrictions may impact your return to Canada. We would recommend regularly monitoring the IRCC COVID-19 website for the most up-to date travel information. At this time, travel exemptions apply to some international students. Please refer to our Planning your Travel to Canada website and our Self-isolation website for detailed information. Additionally, if you will be travelling inside Canada, please refer to the Government of Canada's website that has detailed information about domestic travel.

Are you starting your studies at UVic in January 2022?

Congratulations on your admission to UVic!

If you have a valid study permit and are transferring to UVic in January, you must notify IRCC about your institution change. 

Visit our Pre-arrival and arrival checklists website for valuable information that will help you prepare for a successful start at UVic.

All new international students should register for fun and informative orientation events. When you sign up for the major orientation events, you should also sign up for the International Student Welcome, which will take place on Friday, January 14, 2022.

If you have questions about any information discussed above, please contact International Centre for Students (ICS) via phone (+1-250-721-6361) or email (

Want to know what else is going on? Join the to receive regular updates about opportunities and events, both on and off campus.