Tia's Advice: End of Summer Session

UVic Global Community Newsletter: July 31, 2017

Tia's Advice is a section of the UVic Global Community Newsletter that includes International Student Advising information and a list of Important Dates for undergraduate and graduate degree-seeking students, incoming exchange students and incoming study abroad students.

Are you leaving UVic after summer session?

Maybe you are finishing up your UVic degree program. Maybe you plan to take a break from your studies at UVic. Or, maybe you will return home to finish your program after spending a few months studying at UVic.

If you plan to attend the convocation ceremony in November, and you want to invite a guest who needs a temporary resident visa (TRV) to enter Canada, you can request an invitation letter for your guest to include in their TRV application. Family and friends can also watch your convocation ceremony as a live webcast.

No matter your reason for leaving, please take a moment to consider some important next steps.

Will you stay in Canada?

Make sure your status in Canada matches the reason for your stay.

To work:

  • Many international students who complete a degree program at UVic will be eligible to apply for a post-graduation work permit AFTER completing all program requirements.
  • Degree-seeking students who plan to take a break from their program of study at UVic should visit or contact the International Student Centre to discuss employment options.
  • Exchange students and study abroad students who want to work in Canada before returning home can explore various employment options on the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website.

Career Services is a wonderful resource available to all UVic students and alumni. They can help you search for employment and navigate your career in Canada.

To study:

  • If you already have a valid study permit, be sure to notify IRCC that you are changing institutions. Or, if your study permit will expire soon, apply to extend it.
  • If you do not already have a study permit, you will probably need to apply for one. Visit the IRCC website to determine whether or not you will need a study permit.

As a visitor:

As a permanent resident:

  • Visit the IRCC website to learn about the programs available for immigrating to Canada permanently.

Think about which documents you might also need to update: Health Insurance, Social Insurance Number, etc.

Will you leave Canada?

Ideas for keeping your stuff out of the garbage:

Other things you may need to take care of before leaving Canada:

  • If you are leaving permanently, and you have BC Medical Services Plan (MSP) coverage, you must cancel your account.
  • If you are leaving temporarily, and you have BC MSP coverage, contact Health Insurance BC at 1-800-663-7100 and ask to speak with an enrolment specialist about your options.
  • If you have extended health insurance through the UVic plan for undergraduate students, visit the UVSS Info Booth in the SUB to discuss your options.
  • If you have extended health insurance through the UVic plan for graduate students, visit the GSS Office in the Halpern Centre to discuss your options.
  • Do you live on campus? Have you connected with Residence Services for guidance about moving out?
  • Do you live off campus? Have you given your landlord or roommates written notice about your intentions? Make sure you understand your responsibilities as a tenant.
  • Consider all accounts that are in your name, such as your bank accounts, mobile phone, hydro, internet, cable, etc.

Whether you spent four months or four years at UVic, your time here will have influenced your perspective of the world. You might think that moving to a new country and culture was the most challenging part of your international student experience, but returning home after spending time away is often just as challenging.

It is common for international students to experience a transition called "reverse culture shock". Module 2 on the What's Up With Culture website can help you prepare for this transition. The content is written for students returning to the United States, but it is valuable for anyone who has studied abroad.

Are you returning to your studies at UVic during winter session?

If you attended another college, university or language school in Canada while on a break from your studies at UVic, you must notify Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) about your plans to return to UVic. Follow the instructions on the IRCC website to submit a notification.

If you are currently outside Canada, please verify that your documents are in order BEFORE re-entering Canada.

Pease visit or contact the International Student Centre if you have questions.

Are you starting your studies at UVic during winter session?

Congratulations on your admission to the University of Victoria (UVic)!

Visit our website for valuable information that will help you prepare for a successful start at UVic.

When you arrive on campus, please visit the International Student Centre in University Centre B272 to pick up a welcome package.

Please also register for fun and informative orientation events. The International Student Welcome will take place on Thursday, August 31 and is one of many events designed to help you have a smooth transition to UVic.

Important Dates

August 7: British Columbia Day. This is a statutory holiday, so classes will be cancelled and UVic services will be closed.

August 20: U-Pass privileges begin for fall term.*

August 21: Summer session ends.

August 31: International Student Welcome for new students.

* Incoming exchange students do not automatically receive U-Pass privileges but can opt in by purchasing a UVSS or GSS membership package.

Want to know what else is going on? Join the to receive regular updates about opportunities, events and programs, both on and off campus.