Teaching opportunities

Graduate studies in English can be supported through University of Victoria Fellowships and Graduate Awards, Department Fellowships, Ph.D. Sessional Lecturer positions, Teaching Assistantships, and Research Assistantships.

The Graduate Adviser and the Graduate Committee consider for financial support all students whose applications are received by January 15, and who intend to pursue full-time study in September toward an MA or Ph.D. degree. In some instances, applications received after this date may be considered for funding. Successful applicants are usually notified starting late February to late May. Students should keep in mind that funding is limited and, as a result, very competitive.

There is also the opportunity for students to take part the co-op program.

Information for International Students

Citizenship and Immigration Canada does not require a work permit for international students working on the campus of the institution where they are registered if 1) the student has a valid study permit, 2) the student is registered on a full-time basis, and 3) the student is only working on the campus where she or he is registered. Students who are hired as Sessional Lecturers, Teaching Assistants, or Research Assistants must ensure that they provide the Graduate Secretary with a copy of their study permit in order for their appointments to be processed.

In addition, every person who works in Canada is required to have a valid Social Insurance Number (SIN). Information and application forms are available at HRDC. To apply, students must have a valid study permit that indicates they "may accept employment" or "may work" in Canada.

University fellowships, Graduate awards, department fellowships, and teaching assistantships

The number and value of fellowships, graduate awards, and teaching assistantships awarded to new students varies from year to year. Fellowships are currently valued at $1,000 to $15,000 for one year (M.A.) and approximately $25,000 per year for four years (Ph.D.). Teaching Assistantships are currently valued at $9,623 (MA) and $10,123 (PhD). Students must have an outstanding academic record to be considered for these awards.

Students interested in the CSPT concentration should approach the CSPT Director for information on fellowships specifically awarded to CSPT candidates.

For PhD students, a condition of this funding is that they must apply for all awards for which they are eligible throughout their degree, including external awards such as Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) awards.

MA applicants and students who are Canadian citizens are strongly encouraged to apply for SSHRC, CGS awards (Canadian Graduate Scholarships, Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council).

Award holders must maintain continuous full-time registration during the tenure of the award. In addition, students are not normally allowed to hold another major award (e.g., SSHRC) in conjunction with a University or Department Fellowship. Should students be offered such an award after acceptance of the University or Department Fellowship, the University or Department Fellowship may have to be forfeited.

Please note that information on these pages is not official and may be subject to error. To validate any important information, please contact the Department office, or check the UVic Calendar.

Since graduates of the Ph.D. program normally seek teaching appointments at colleges and universities on the completion of their degrees, the program offers them the opportunity to teach courses in composition and literature as part of their training. To this end, the department will normally provide Ph.D. students the opportunity to teach three courses (at least two of which will be at the first-year level). After they have completed this teaching, advanced Ph.D. students may apply to teach additional upper-year courses. See the Graduate Handbook for further information.

Both M.A. and Ph.D. students can also work as Research Assistants (R.A.s) or on Work Study programs within the University. The R.A.s' salary is estimated on an hourly basis and must comply with the salary guidelines of the University. Students interested in such positions are responsible for approaching faculty members.

Graduate students may also participate in the Co-Op Work Program. For details please see co-op page.