International opportunities

The world as your classroom

At the University of Victoria, you can earn credit while studying abroad on international exchange, take a UVic-credited field-school course, or work abroad on a Co-op placement—all while earning your degree.

International exchanges

Your degree can take you across the world to encounter unique places, people, and cultures. Why not seize advantage of UVic’s exchange agreements with over 50 institutions in 21 countries across Europe, the South Pacific, Southeast Asia, New Zealand, and South America? The international office can help you to arrange your visa, application, and transfer credit.

Awards for international travel and study

Our faculty offers a number of awards to promote student research and travel in particular academic areas such as Icelandic studies, Scottish studies, digital humanities, and European studies. Some departments also offer travel awards, such as the Department of Greek and Roman Studies’ Margareta von Rudloff Travel Assistance Award, which provides funds for students to deliver papers at conferences, participate in academic programs or archaeological digs, or visit libraries, museums, and classical sites. Check departmental websites for other such funding opportunities.

Field schools

UVic offers hands-on field schools around the world: you can earn course credit while learning about colonial legacies while visiting South Africa, about the Holocaust while touring memorial sites in Europe, and about ancient civilizations while working on archaeological sites in Greece and Turkey. All these courses are taught by UVic professors who are experts in the field.

Study Abroad Programs

Spend a fall term exploring Hispanic culture in either Spain or Ecuador and earn  7.5 units of UVic credit in Spanish. All classes are taught in Spanish by qualified local  instructors for a true immersion experience . For more information, visit the Hispanic and Italian Studies website.

Co-op around the world

UVic co-op offers international job placements abroad as well as in Canada. Our exchange agreements with institutions in countries such as Germany and Malaysia allow you to work in those counties while earning co-op credit at home.

Certificate in Language and Cultural Proficiency

You can prepare for an international exchange or co-op placement by earning a UVic Certificate in Language and Cultural Proficiency.

These certificates allow you to explore the languages, beliefs, literatures, cinemas, and values of specific world cultures. Certificates are available in the Departments of FrenchGermanic and Slavic StudiesHispanic and Italian Studies, and Pacific and Asian Studies. The requirements for these certificates can be completed more quickly than many of the minors offered in the Faculty.