Research and study mobility options

As a graduate student at UVic, there are many options open to you allowing you to explore studies at other institutions or just outside your area.

Auditing a course

Are you a continuing graduate student wanting to audit a course? You must register also in credit courses, thesis, project or dissertation to maintain continuity of registration, then use the course change form to add the course you want to audit. Depending on the relevance of this course to your current program, you may or may not be charged auditing fees.

Letter of permission

UVic graduate students wishing to take courses elsewhere should submit a letter of permission form to the Graduate Admissions and Records office. Upon approval, they'll send it to the proposed host institution.

You are still responsible for meeting the requirements and obtaining admission at the host institution, as regulated in the calendar.

Visiting research students

Graduate students currently registered at a Canadian institution who wish to participate in the Canadian Graduate Student Research Mobility Agreement (CGSMRA) may be considered upon the basis of submission of the Visiting Research Student Approval Form.

The form must be completed by the home institution after a suitable research exchange supervisor has been arranged at UVic through your home institution. See the CGSMRA package for more details and a printable copy of the Visiting Research Student Authorization Form.

If you want to become a visiting research student outside of Canada, you should discuss this with your supervisor and the proposed supervisor at the institution you wish to visit.

Western Deans’ Agreement/Canadian University Graduate Transfer Agreement

Current graduate students at UVic are eligible to participate in the Western Deans’ Agreement (WDA) or Canadian University Graduate Transfer Agreement (CUGTA). Under the terms of these agreements, graduate students of the member universities can take courses (which are not available at their home institution) at another member institution for credit in their graduate programs.

If you are interested in participating in either of these agreements, please click on the links above to complete and submit the relevant form.

Student mental health
Professional development
Three Minute Thesis (3MT)
Graduate Students' Society

Program information