Find your own place
UVic is recognized as a research leader in Canada and around the world. We're home to faculty experts and researchers in diverse fields. As part of an institution that values creativity and critical inquiry as an avenue to innovation, you have the opportunity to find your own place and follow your passions. Investigate what we have to offer.
- Get an overview of research at UVic.
- See research information for prospective graduate students.
- Check out research information for current graduate students.
- Discover our research-inspired learning.
- Explore UVic’s research centres and organizations.
- Consult our research facts and figures at a glance.
- Investigate the expertise database to connect with experts who may already be working in your field.
You can also learn more about conducting your research.
At UVic, we're exploring ways to build healthier societies, to foster cultural knowledge and traditions and to put our values into practice at home and abroad. We are tackling the challenging issues—from cancer cells and fuel cells to climate change and cultural change. See what we are up to in research right now.
While our research influence is broad, UVic is internationally recognized for some key areas of research strength. Explore these in detail below.
- Oceans and climate
- Global change and sustainability
- Society and health
- Genomics and proteomics
- Indigenous and cultural studies
- Matter and energy
- Computational modelling and information techology
- Fine and performing arts
UVic is the largest provider of graduate co-operative education (co-op) in Canada. Join co-op and you’ll alternate academic terms with paid work terms in your field. You’ll graduate with hands-on experience, plus you’ll earn a salary to help fund your tuition.
A co-op work term can also be a great way to make progress on your research. Find a position that relates to your final project, thesis or dissertation. Explore opportunities to work in research roles on campus. Participation may be optional or mandatory so check with your academic unit for details.
- Visit Co-operative Education Program and Career Services to learn more about co-op and to plan your career pathway.
- Check out Co-op and Career’s guide for graduate students.
UVic’s expertise database
Use the expertise database to learn more about UVic’s areas of research strength and the faculty members and researchers already here.