Graduate Visiting Research Students

All Graduate Visiting Research Students (GVRS) who are enrolled in a graduate program of study at an accredited or recognized university and wish to engage in a research activity at UVic must do the following:

Apply for admission to UVic

Step 1: Letter of agreement

Complete the Letter of Agreement form and gather the appropriate signatures.

Step 2: Application form

Complete UVic's online application.

Make sure you apply as "Visiting Research Student".

If the term to which you are applying is no longer available because the application deadline has passed, contact Graduate Admissions and Records

English Language Proficiency is not a requirement for this application. Language screening is the responsibility of your UVic supervisor.

Step 3: Submission

The Letter of Agreement may be submitted to Graduate Admissions and Records by either yourself or your UVic supervisor.

Both the online application and the Letter of Agreement must be received before you can be admitted to UVic.

Obtain immigration documents

If your home university is outside Canada, you will probably need to obtain immigration documents. After you receive confirmation of your admission to UVic as a GVRS, contact International Student Services for guidance.

DO NOT apply for immigration documents before you receive confirmation of your admission to UVic.


There are no application or tuition fees for Graduate Visiting Research Students.

As a UVic student you will receive access to campus resources, such as UVic Libraries, campus computing facilitiesCounselling ServicesHealth Services and International Students Services.

You may also be eligible to purchase a GSS membership package, which includes a U-Pass for BC Transit, at the GSS Front Office in the Grad Centre. Alternatively, you can buy BC Transit tickets or passes at vendors throughout Victoria.

Course registration

All graduate research students are registered into GS 503 or GS 504. No tuition fees are charged for these courses.

You can request a transcript from the Office of the Registrar after you complete your research activity at UVic.

If you wish to take additional courses for credit at UVic, you must apply through the regular admission process as a non-degree student.

Next Steps

Confirmation of your admission to UVic will include your V Number (UVic Student Number), with which you can create a UVic NetLink ID and receive a UVic ONECard.

Once you've made arrangements to study at UVic, it's time to plan your travels. Learn about living in Canada.

Student mental health
Professional development
Three Minute Thesis (3MT)
Graduate Students' Society

Program information