Elementary BEd - East Kootenay Program

Primary teacher Amanda Patterson doing an activity with students in a forest setting.
Primary teacher Amanda Patterson enjoys the intimacy of teaching to a multi-grade classroom in her home town of Kimberley, BC. She graduated with a BEd in Elementary Teaching, from the UVic’s East Kootenay Program offered in Cranbrook. © Zoe Ferguson - Learn Magazine

This program provide engaging, relevant, and high-quality teacher preparation for the responsibilities and challenges of today's classrooms. Graduates recieve a Bachelor of Education degree and are eligible to apply for a BC teaching certificate. In British Columbia, teaching certificates are issued by the Ministry of Education's Teacher Regulation Branch (TRB).

If you have an undergraduate degree, please consult an Education adviser about the Bachelor of Education Post-Degree Professional Program (Elementary).

Year one (at UVic, COTR or elsewhere)

In year one, you'll study English, Canadian studies, mathematics and laboratory science. Two elective courses, selected from a wide choice of academic subjects, are also required. While we recommend that you take the electives in year one, you may take them in a summer session following year one, two, or three. You must complete the electives before beginning year four. Speak with an Education adviser if you'd prefer to take one or more electives after year one.

Years two to four (full time at COTR)

The core teacher education courses and practica are offered over three academic years (September - May). The courses provide an introduction to the full range of subjects taught in an elementary classroom (kindergarten through grade seven). To learn what you'll study in years two, three and four, refer to the program outline in the UVic Undergraduate Calendar.

French Immersion Specialization

With approval, the Professional Specialization Certificate in Teaching French Immersion may be taken concurrently with the BEd (Elementary Curriculum) program. 

The certificate consists of four courses: two offered online in the winter session and two offered on the Victoria campus in the summer session (normally in July). If admitted to the PSC, you may begin taking courses in the summer session following year two. The final course must be taken in the fall term of year four. Refer to Continuing Studies’ website for more details about admission to the certificate program. 

Students must speak with an Education adviser before applying to the PSC. Call 250-721-7877.

Year one requirements: courses, competencies, GPA, and deadlines

You'll take these courses as a first year student at College of the Rockies or another post-secondary institution:

The courses and competencies listed here must be completed by April 30:

  • 3.0 units1 approved English, and
  • demonstrated competency in written English2, and
  • 3.0 units approved Canadian studies, and
  • 3.0 units approved mathematics3 with a C+ average, and
  • 3.0 units approved laboratory science3, and
  • 3.0 units approved academic electives4,5, and
  • a minimum sessional average of 3.00/9-point scale (UVic C+). If your most recent session is fewer than 12.0 units, you must have a grade-point average of at least 3.00 on a 9-point scale (equivalent to UVic's C+ grade) on your most recent consecutive 12.0 units.6


  1. 3.0 UVic units are equivalent to two, half-year courses or 6 credits at most BC colleges and universities.
  2. A minimum C+ grade in each of two approved English courses.
  3. Mathematics and laboratory science courses must be completed within ten years of entry to year two.
  4. Choose from subjects related to those taught in BC schools such as art, computer science, French, geography or physics. Courses from professional programs such as child and youth care, education and social work are not normally approved. Consult an Education adviser.
  5. The electives are normally taken in year one but may be taken in a summer session following year one, two or three. The electives must be completed before entry to year four.
  6. Learn how a GPA is calculated at UVic.

Year one course options at College of the Rockies

printable version

English and written English competency

Choose two from:

  • ENGL 100 English Composition
  • ENGL 101 Introduction to Poetry and Drama
  • ENGL 102 Introduction to Prose Fiction
  • ENGL 270 Children’s Literature


  1. Grades of C+ or higher in each of two approved English courses are required to demonstrate written English competency.
  2. We can’t accept technical or creative writing courses.
  3. We can't accept two English composition/academic writing courses (at least one must be a literature studies topic).

Canadian studies

Choose courses that focus on the Canadian experience and that cover topics taught in the BC elementary social studies curriculum.

Choose two from:

  • One of ANTH 105 Introduction to Health and Wellness in Aboriginal Communities or FNST 203 Indigenous Ways of Knowing
  • ANTH 120 Aboriginal World Views on Contemporary Structures
  • FNST 101 First Nations Studies I
  • HIST 201 Pre-Confederation Canada
  • HIST 202 Post-Confederation Canada (from 1867)
  • HIST 208 Canadian-American Relations 1867 to the Present
  • HIST 211 Women in Canada: 1920 to the Present
  • POLI 203 Canadian Government and Politics


  1. Canadian literature and art history courses are not acceptable.
  2. Pan-Canadian topics are recommended; a maximum of one approved regional studies course will be accepted.


Choose two from:

  • MATH 101 Finite Mathematics 1
  • MATH 102 Finite Mathematics 2
  • MATH 103 Differential Calculus
  • MATH 104 Integral Calculus
  • MATH 105 Mathematics for Teachers
  • STAT 106 Statistics


  1. Recommended courses: MATH 101, 102, 105
  2. A C+ average or higher on two approved mathematics courses is needed to demonstrate competency in mathematics.
  3. Courses completed more than 10 years prior to entry to year two are not accepted.
  4. Pre-calculus and introductory college algebra topics are not accepted.

Laboratory science

Because elementary teachers take a strong field-based, hands-on approach to teaching sciences, we prefer science courses that offer a significant lab component. If you can, choose courses that have a weekly three-hour lab. Science courses that average at least 1.5 hours of lab time a week are also acceptable. Try to choose courses from two different subjects.

Choose two from:

  • ASTR 100 Elementary Astronomy
  • BIOL 101 Introduction to Biology I
  • BIOL 102 Introduction to Biology 2
  • BIOL 151 Biology of the Environment
  • CHEM 100 Environmental Chemistry
  • CHEM 101 Fundamentals of Chemistry 1
  • CHEM 102 Fundamentals of Chemistry 2
  • GEOG 101 Introduction to Physical Geography 1
  • GEOL 105 Introduction to Geology2
  • GEOL 106 Physical and Historical Geology2
  • One course from: BIOL 181 Introductory Human Anatomy and Physiology 1 OR KNES 190 Basic Human Anatomy OR KNES 200 Introductory Human Anatomy and Physiology 1
  • PHYS 103 Introduction to Physics 1
  • PHYS 104 Introduction to Physics 2


  1. Courses completed more than 10 years prior to entry to year two are not accepted.
  2. Physical geography and geology: consult an Education adviser if you have taken, or wish to take, two or more from GEOG 101,102; GEOL 105, 106. UVic may not grant transfer credit for all of these courses.


Choose from subjects related to those taught in a BC public school. For example: anthropology, visual arts/art history, astronomy, biology, chemistry, computer science, French, environmental studies, First Nations Studies, geography, history, linguistics, music, physics, political science, psychology, and sociology.


  1. Elementary schools are keen to hire teachers with a good knowledge of French. For this reason, we suggest you consider taking at least one French course.
  2. We can’t accept courses from professional programs such as child and youth care, education or social work.
  3. When selecting courses use the online BC Transfer Guide www.bctransferguide.ca to find out if the course transfers to UVic.
  4. When selecting courses from similar topic areas (not recommended) also refer to the UVic calendar course description for credit restrictions: http://web.uvic.ca/calendar.
  5. When in doubt, consult an Education adviser at 250-721-7877 or adve@uvic.ca.

Year one course options at other universities and colleges

If you're taking courses at a college or university in British Columbia, check the list of post-secondary institutions below. You may find an information handout for the college or university you'll be attending that lists approved year one courses.

If we haven't prepared an advising sheet for the college or university you're attending, then:

  1. Select courses that you think can be used to satisfy year one requirements. 
  2. If you are attending a BC post-secondary institution, use the BC transfer guide to find out if the courses transfer to UVic.
  3. Send your course selection to the Education Advising Office at MacLaurin.  An adviser will review your course selection and let you know if your courses are approved.

Educative experience

In addition to the required courses, you'll be asked to provide evidence of your experience, ability, and interest in working with children in educative ways in the form of a letter of intent, résumé and reference forms. These supporting documents must adequately indicate to the satisfaction of the elementary program lead that your experience working with children/youth support your ability to be a teacher candidate in this program.

In your letter of intent, you'll explain why you wish to become a teacher, how your life experiences (employment, volunteer activities, work with diverse groups of children/youth, special skills or talents, leadership roles) are relevant to teaching, and why you think these experiences are appropriate preparation for a career in teaching.

Your résumé will list your education, employment history, education-related experience (volunteer or paid), work experience with youth (volunteer or paid), and two references.

Your reference forms will be completed by individuals who have observed you interacting with children/youth in educative ways in at least two different settings.

EKTEP applicants will also be invited to attend an interview.

How to apply (September entry)

Application deadline: February 28

  • Apply to year one if you are a current or graduated high school student and plan to take year one at College of the Rockies. It's possible to be admitted to both the College of the Rockies and the University of Victoria's Faculty of Education. Find out more about dual admission by speaking with an adviser at College of the Rockies. If you aren't selected for year one entry you may, instead, complete year one courses as a COTR student and then apply to year two.
  • Apply to year two if you've already taken at least eight half-year university-level courses.

Click here to access application information. This information is updated each September for entry in the following year.

  • Indigenous applicants, please take note of the additional information provided for you on this page.