Academic support

Academic advisers are an invaluable resource. They can help you understand general and individual program requirements, adjust course load and can direct you towards many of the learning resources available to you as a UVic student.

Advising staff

BEng / BSEng

BEng / BSEng Contact Phone Email
1st year and undeclared LeAnne Golinsky 250-721-6018
2nd, 3rd and 4th year MECH and BSEng Belinda de Jong 250-472-5215
2nd, 3rd and 4th year BME, CENG, CIVE and ELEC Alejandra Montenegro 250-472-5216
Exchange and visiting students Tracy Kirkendale 250-721-6023
Advising support Mimi Lin
Tracy Kirkendale
Brenden Hartridge

Bachelors in Computer Science

Computer Science
Undergraduate advisor
Irene Statham
ECS 512

Undergraduate student advising

Engineering and Computer Science Undergraduate Advising – 2022 Spring Term

Summer 2022 – The Engineering Undergraduate Office will continue to provide advising virtually for the 2022 Summer term. We will revisit this plan as necessary and as public health orders change. Normal business hours of Monday–Friday 8:30AM–4:15PM will be maintained.

All students are encouraged to connect with their Academic Advisor(s) via phone, email or virtually and we will answer your questions as soon as possible. Start of term is very busy, so we appreciate your patience during this time.

Engineering students


1st-YEAR and UNDECLARED Engineering students
LeAnne Golinsky 250-721-6018
Mimi Lin 250-721-8678
Brenden Hartridge 250-472-5322
Tracy Kirkendale 250-721-6023

Virtual academic advising is available both on a drop-in basis and on a by appointment basis for the Summer 2022 Term.

* note times overlap
Time * Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday
(9:30am – 11:30am)
N/A Booked appointments N/A Booked appointments Drop-in
(10:00am – 2:00pm)
Drop-in Drop-in Drop-in Drop-in N/A
(1:30pm – 3:30pm)
Booked appointments N/A Booked appointments N/A N/A

For Drop-in: the link to access the advising session is
You must be signed into using your Netlink ID to be considered an authenticated user to access the meeting.

For Current First Year/Undeclared/Prospective Students with a NetLink ID, to book an appointment with LeAnne, you can access the new online appointment booking system at and follow the instructions under the "Welcome" window (right-hand side of page). Once you have created an account you can return to this site anytime, and book an appointment through the scheduling page. The system will send you a confirmation email and information for connecting through the WC Online system (at this time, all advising appointments are virtual). On the day/time of your appointment, log back in to this system at before the start of your appointment. In the schedule page, click on your appointment time to open the appointment and click "Start or Join Online Consultation." You can cancel or change appointments through the same site. If you have a change in plans, please cancel your appointment, so that other students can use the time

For Prospective Students without a NetLink ID, please email LeAnne at to book an appointment.

Declared program students

To book an appointment with your declared program advisor, please access the on-line appointment booking system On this site, you will find the instructions for getting started in the "Welcome" window (right-hand side of page). On the day/time of your appointment, log back in to this system at before the start of your appointment. In the schedule page, click on your appointment time to open the appointment and click "Start or Join Online Consultation." You can cancel or change appointments through the same site If you have a change in plans, please cancel your appointment, so that other students can use the time slot.

MECH and SENG Academic Advisor – Belinda de Jong 250-472-5215

BME, CENG, CIVE, ELEC Academic Advisor – Alejandra Montenegro 250-472-5216

Please direct questions about the appointment booking system to

Computer Science students


Effective December 9th: The academic advisor is working remotely and email is the best mode of communication at this time. Please email your V number (V00xxxxxx) and detailed questions to

Other useful resources for COMPUTER SCIENCE students

Advising resources

Check out our documents, resource links, forms, and frequently asked questions and potentially save yourself a trip to the Engineering Undergraduate Office!

Academic integrity requires commitment to values of honesty, trust, fairness, respect, and responsibility.

Access our program planning sheets (updated May 2nd for 2022 Summer). Additional forms:

Bachelors of Engineering and Software Engineering forms:

Can’t find the form you need? Please come to the Engineering Undergraduate Office, EOW 206, or email

Computer Science forms

Questions frequently asked to our advisors

COVID-19: additional FAQs for Engineering and Computer Science students

Check out our frequently asked questions and potentially save yourself a trip to the Engineering Undergraduate Office!

What's the difference between university regulations and faculty regulations?

Generally speaking, University regulations for student conduct and evaluation apply to all students registered in the Faculty of Engineering.

The BEng and BSEng program regulations differ from the general University regulations in certain areas (e.g., credit for courses taken outside the program, standing reviews, supplemental exams, co-op work term waivers, deferred exams, and standing at graduation).

The BEng and BSEng regulations take precedence over the University regulation wherever it sets a higher standard or where it spells out a requirement that isn't in the University regulations. A full description of BEng and BSEng program regulations can be found in the UVic Academic calendar.

I applied for admission to the BEng (or BSEng) program, but wasn't admitted. What courses should I take in my first year that will qualify me to transfer into Engineering as soon as possible?

Thank you for your continued interest in our programs. You won't have registration access to all of the required first year Engineering courses, but you do have access to a number of them and to courses that are equivalents to our first year courses in preparation for applying to transfer.

The courses that we recommend you take to address most of the first year Engineering requirements are:

  • CSC 111 (or 110) and CSC 116 (or 115)
  • MATH 100, 101 and 211
  • PHYS 110 and 111
  • ENGL 135 and 225 (or ENGR 240)
  • CHEM 101 (equivalent to our CHEM 150)

The courses above address most of the first year Engineering requirements. Youwon't have access to the ENGR 130, ENGR 141, ENGR 112, or ENGR 121, which are reserved for Engineering students.

You can apply to transfer into second year. If admitted, transfer students usually end up taking a mix of the missing first and second year courses over the first 8-12 months in the program. As part of the admissions process, we'll give you a recommended registration schedule and suggest the timing of your first work term.

Transferring into the program can be competitive as there are limited spaces available. As an estimate, you should be attaining a B average to be in the cut-off range for transfer. Minimum transfer GPAs will vary depending on the program area of interest. Courses must be at a C or better to be transferred into the Engineering program. Achievement of the minimum, however, does not guarantee admission.

The application deadline for September is April 30 and the documentation deadline is May 31. You can apply online.

What's the University English Requirement?

See UVic's Academic Writing Requirement (AWR) page.

Engineering students can fulfill the AWR by taking ENGR 110 (a required course in the first year curriculum) OR by taking ENGL 135 and completing the Design requirement of ENGR 110 (in the form of ENGR 112).

Engineering students who take any other English course (146 or 147 at UVic) or transfer credit for any other English course from another institution will not be exempt from ENGR 110.

If I satisfy the Academic Writing Requirement (AWR) do I still have to take ENGR 110?

Yes. Satisfaction of the AWR does not exempt a student from any Engineering Program Requirement (i.e. ENGR 110).

If I have transfer credit for 1st year English will I be exempted from ENGR 110?

Only students who enter the program with transfer credit for ENGL 135 (with a C or better) will be exempted from the communications portion of ENGR 110. Any other 1st year English course will not meet the program requirement. Students with transfer credit for ENGL 135 must still complete the design portion of ENGR 110 in the form of ENGR 112 upon entry to the Bachelor of Engineering program.

If you have an English 100 LEVEL course transfer credit AND it is a University writing or composition course AND you have a C or better, contact the Engineering Undergraduate Office to discuss.

Is ENGR 110 a prerequisite for anything or can I pick it up later?

ENGR 110 (or the ENGL 135/ENGR 112 combination) is a prerequisite for ENGR 120 in the second term of first year. ENGR 110 (or the ENGL 135/ENGR 112 combination) AND ENGR 120  must be done before you will be permitted to register in your second co-op term.

How do I register for courses?

Attend a Registration 101 event in your community, on campus or online by webinar.

Look for your timeticket email, which contains your date and time for course registration:

  • Timeticket emails are sent in early June for courses running September-April (winter session)
  • Timeticket emails are sent in March for courses running May-August (summer session)

Once you've received your email confirming you can register, you can register for courses through My page.

New students in the Bachelor of Engineering and Bachelor of Software Engineering programs will receive a registration package and required course registration information by mail from the Engineering Undergraduate Office.

Admission and course registration information will be emailed to you near the end of May if you have accepted your offer of admission. This package will include your registration information, program planning and how to access the web-based registration system. If you have not received this package by the end of June, please contact us by email: .

Registration will begin in late June, but start going through your registration materials as soon as you receive your package and familiarize yourself with UVic’s Calendar and web-based registration system. Please note that if you have not submitted your $200 acceptance deposit you will not be able to register.

Students will also be directed to the registration tutorials: Registration 101 and the First Year Programs Guide.

Computer Science students will receive a registration package and detailed instructions from the Undergraduate Admissions/Records Office.

How do I register in more than 9 units per term?

You must request permission from your department advisor/department chair.

I'm supposed to register in the Technical Writing course, but the system won't let me. It gives me "Major Restriction" What am I doing wrong?

You are probably trying to register in a section of the course that is restricted to students in another program. Check the registration restrictions in My page or the registration guide. Some of the seats are reserved for Computer Science students and some are reserved for BEng/BSEng students. Be sure you are accessing the correct section.

What should I do if I think that I am failing a course?

Start by talking to the course instructor. You may be overreacting to the situation and they may be able to provide a bit of helpful perspective or insight that will clear up your problem. (Hint: instructors are more sympathetic toward students who clearly are trying to master the material. Non-attendance at lectures and failure to submit assignments are definite negative inputs to faculty when it comes to providing help later.)

Do a self-appraisal of your problem and check out the assistance available on campus. There are several resources available to you: subject assistance centres, tutors, the Counselling Services Learning Skills program, etc. Talk to your program advisor to see if there are ways to reduce your course load so that you are successful.  Be sure to observe the course drop deadlines and if you are going to drop courses, be sure to do so on time.

If you are having medical problems be sure to visit Health Services or your regular physician right away and seek the appropriate treatment.  If an Academic Concession is warranted, the appropriate medical documentation will be required. Academic Concession forms can be obtained from Records Services.

Don't delay in acting. There are definite deadlines for taking action so that a fail mark does not appear on your transcript.

What should I do if I'm having difficulties in a math course?

Drop by the Math and Stats Assistance Centre if you are having difficulties or would like a private tutor.

Do I need permission to retake a failed course?

In some cases you'll need to obtain permission to retake a failed course if it is your third attempt. You must contact the department offering the course. Please note that the original failed attempt(s) will remain on your transcript.

Do I have to repeat a lab if I failed the course?

In some courses with labs, it may be possible to use the previous lab mark (if it was a pass) instead of having to retake the lab. The longer you delay in retaking the course the less likely it is that this will be possible.

Contact the instructor of the course you failed (to be sure that the lab results were not destroyed) and then contact the instructor of the next offering of the course for permission to have the labs waived. Do not assume that previous lab work will be acceptable.

What is a Deferred Examination?

A deferred exam may be granted if you've completed a course but are unable to take the final examination due to medical or compassionate reasons. You must apply for a deferred exam and provide documentation to establish the grounds for your request. The deadline is 10 working days from the end of the examination period.

Academic Concessions are not permitted if you have already completed all course requirements including the final exam.

Get an Academic Concession form from Record Services.

What is a Supplemental Examination?

You are eligible to write a supplemental examination only if you have written a final exam and received a final grade of E in the course.

You can only apply to write the supplemental associated with the course offering in which you were registered. For example, a course that was offered in the January-April term would have its supplemental scheduled during the first week of the following May-August term.

Supplemental exams cover only the course work covered by written final exams.

The supplemental exam grade replaces the grade of the course final exam only and has the same weight as that of the final exam. A course with no final exam will have no supplemental exam.

Any passing grade obtained as a result of the supplemental exam will be shown in your academic record with a grade point value of 1, corresponding to a D. It will be taken into account in determining your graduating average and standing at graduation, but will not affect your sessional grade point average.

Applications for supplemental exams, accompanied by the required fees, must be received by the BEng Office by the following dates:

  • for other courses taken during the September-December term (1A, 2A and 3B): February 28
  • for other courses taken during the January-April term (1B, 3A and 4B): June 30
  • for courses taken during the May-August term (2B and 4A): October 31

You will normally be notified of whether your application has been accepted or refused within about four weeks of the application deadline. Fee payments for rejected applications will be returned.

Supplemental exams are scheduled by the Faculty and only include CENG, ELEC, ENGR, MECH; and SENG courses offered by the Electrical and Computer Engineering Department.

For more information, and to apply for supplemental examinations, email the .

What is a Complementary Studies Elective?

This course must be chosen to meet the Complementary Studies requirements for accreditation. Pick up a list of acceptable courses from the BEng or BSEng office or get it online. You need to get written approval to use a course not on this list.

The course needs to meet Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board (CEAB) requirements for complementary studies and in particular must deal with central issues, methodologies and thought processes of the Humanities and Social Sciences.

Requests should be made in writing c/o the Associate Dean and must include a detailed course description. Requests will be brought to the monthly Programs Committee meeting for approval, so you should submit requests well in advance of course start dates. For more information, email the .

How do I get credit for my Complementary Studies Elective if I have already taken a course on the list of approved courses?

If you have not already applied for Complementary Studies credit, and the course is included on the List of Complementary Studies, contact your program adviser and fill out the Complementary Studies Request Form.

Can I take courses while on a work term?

Students registered in a work term are already considered to be registered full time. You should consider the necessary time commitment of class contact hours, labs and tutorials as well as travel time and out of class time for study - all of this would be extra to working at a full-time job.

If you still decide that taking a course while on a work term is something that you would like to pursue, you'll need written permission of both the Engineering and Computer Science/Math Co-op and the employer. Check the regulations on the co-op site.

Can I take correspondence or distance education courses?

You may want to take a course by correspondence or distance education as an alternative to taking a regular four-month course at UVic or another university or college. Many university level courses transfer directly to UVic, mainly in the Humanities, Social Sciences and Sciences area. These courses are available by distance and therefore suitable for completion while registered in a work term (with written permission from both the employer and Engineering Co-op). Thompson Rivers University – Open Learning and Athabasca University offer a variety of correspondence courses.

Be sure to obtain pre-approval from through your program adviser or the Department of Computer Science before taking a course from another institution to ensure you'll get credit for it at UVic. You will need to request a Letter of Permission from your advising centre for courses taken elsewhere.

What is a Letter of Permission?

The Faculty of Engineering may grant credit to applicants to the BEng or BSEng degree program for courses taken at UVic or at other post-secondary educational institutions.

You must obtain a Letter of Permission from the BEng or BSEng Office before starting studies at another institution for credit towards your UVic degree program. See Letters of Permission for UVic Students to Undertake Studies Elsewhere.

Credit will be considered only for courses that are equivalent to courses in the BEng or BSEng degree program and in which satisfactory performance has been achieved.

For courses with prefixes CENG, ELEC, ENGR, MECH and SENG, detailed documentation supporting the credit request may be required. Contact the BEng or BSEng Office for specific instructions before beginning studies in the Faculty.

Credit for courses completed while outside the Faculty of Engineering will only be granted for courses in which a grade of C or higher, or the equivalent, was awarded. For some courses a higher minimum grade may be required.

Courses taken on a Letter of Permission are not taken into consideration for the improvement of a UVic sessional GPA.

What are the Natural Science electives for ELEC and CENG programs?

A list of acceptable science electives can be found on the Electrical and Computer Engineering site.