Academic requirements

In order to graduate with a UVic degree, every undergraduate student must meet the requirements common to all degrees, the requirements specific to your program and the Academic Writing Requirement.

Common degree requirements

Every student pursuing a first bachelor's degree is required to:

  • Complete at least 60 units of course work, with at least 21 units at the 300- or 400-level (most courses are worth 1.5 credit units); at least 30 of the units must be completed at UVic to satisfy the residency requirement.
  • Hold a graduating grade point average of at least 2.0. Note that some programs, such as honours, may require a higher average.
  • Meet the specific course requirements for their chosen program and degree.
  • Satisfy the Academic Writing Requirement.

For more information and specific details, review the academic calendar entry on minimum degree requirements for graduation.

Program-specific requirements

Every undergraduate program has specific requirements that must be fulfilled in order to graduate. Some programs require enrolment in a minimum number of units during the Winter Session. These are detailed in the undergraduate calendar entry for each program.

To assist with course selection before you have declared your program, use program outlines to plan and schedule the required courses for your degree.

Academic Writing Requirement (AWR)

To ensure that you have an opportunity to develop the advanced literacy skills expected at the university level, you will be required to meet the AWR in one of the following ways:

Satisfying the academic writing requirement

All undergraduate students enrolled in a degree program must complete an AWR-designated course (ENGL 135, 146 or 147, ENGR 110) unless they have received or completed:

  • A score of at least 86% on the B.C. English 12 Provincial Examination, or English 12 First Peoples Provincial Examination, within the three years immediately prior to admission
  • A final grade of at least 86% in an approved English 12 equivalent course from other Canadian provinces within the three years immediately prior to admission
  • Transfer credit for ENGL 135, 146 or 147, ENGR 110, or AWR-designated level credit
  • A degree from a recognized English-speaking university

Selecting an AWR-designated course

Four courses are offered that satisfy the AWR.  All four are appropriate for any year of study, though you'll get the most benefit from taking one early on in your degree program:

  • ENGL 135 Academic Reading and Writing (1.5 units)
  • ENGL 146 Introduction to Literary Genres, Themes and Styles (1.5 units)
  • ENGL 147 Introduction to Literary Traditions and Transformations (1.5 units)
  • ENGR 110 Design and Communication I (2.5 units), for Engineering students only

Please note: Satisfying the AWR does not exempt students from the need to meet specific program requirements. Contact your Advising Centre if you require course selection advice

An online self-placement questionnaire is available to help you determine the course that best matches your interests and level of proficiency.

Second-language learners may also benefit from registering in one or both of the following preparatory courses before registering in an AWR-designated course:

  • ENGL 099 Remedial English Composition (0.0 units)
  • ENGL 101 Fundamentals of Academic Literacy (1.5 units)

Note: These courses do not satisfy the AWR.

Timeline for completing the AWR

To gain the greatest benefit to their degree studies, students who have not satisfied the AWR are expected to register in a 1.5-unit, AWR-designated course as soon as possible.

Transfer students who are admitted as third-year students must complete the AWR during their first Winter Session.

Nursing and block-transfer students should consult their academic advisers for information about their deadline for completing the requirement.

Full-time studies

Full time studies for scholarship and awards eligibility normally requires registration in at least 12 units, in two out of three terms in the academic year (May-April) immediately preceding the award.

Full time studies for Canada Student Loans normally requires registration in at least 4.5 units, in each term of the Winter Session.

Quick links

Program help

Having trouble with program and degree planning? Contact your adviser for help.