Resuming studies (reregistration)

If you’ve taken courses in either of the previous two sessions (Winter and Summer), then you are a current student and normally can register for courses in the next academic session.

If you haven’t taken courses in either of the previous two sessions, then you are a returning student and you must apply to reregister. You can choose whether to return to your previous program or to apply to a new program using My UVic application.

Not sure if you need to reregister? Find out how to check your registration status.

Checking your application status

Your application will be reviewed within 5-10 business days of submission, at which point you’ll be sent an email confirming receipt of your application.

Sign in to My UVic application to check the status of your application. You can also review a checklist to see which items have been received and which are outstanding.

UVic might use terms or phrases that are unfamiliar. Find out what we mean – view definitions of the terminology used at UVic

Common questions

What are the application deadlines?

If you’re applying to a new program, please consult the relevant application deadlines on the department's website.

For Science, Social Sciences and Humanities students and for most students returning to their previous program after an absence, applications must be submitted by:

Entry term


Late fee applies

Summer (May-August) July 31 No
Winter: First term (September-December) September 12 After April 30
Winter: Second term (January- April) January 12 After October 31

These deadlines fall after most courses have begun. To ensure the best chance of registration in a course, you should submit your application well before these deadlines.

Course registration for the Summer Session begins in March; Winter Session course registration begins in June.

Entry points, application deadlines, and document deadlines are ongoing for Diplomas and Certificates offered through the Division of Continuing Studies

How long will it take to process my application?

We typically review applications within 5 - 10 business days. If additional documents are required for your application, you’ll be notified by email.

Applications for professional and limited entry programs (e.g. Social Work, Education, Visual Arts) are forwarded to the relevant department for an admission decision and timelines vary. You can check the status of your application on My UVic application.

Submission of an application does not guarantee admission into a program. Applicants must satisfy the admission requirements for the faculty or program to which they’re applying.

What are the fees?

Payment methods

Payment for applications submitted online can be made by Visa, MasterCard or American Express.

For other payment methods, please contact Undergraduate Records.

Student type Fee

Undergraduate (including Off-Campus and Continuing Studies students)


late reregistration fee will be charged for all applicants (excluding Off-Campus and Continuing Studies students) who submit after:

  • April 30 (for September courses)
  • October 31 (for January courses)

How do I change my program or faculty?

Students in a declared program should usually consult an academic adviser before requesting a change of program or faculty.

Faculties of Humanities, Science or Social Sciences

Current students who are in the Faculties of Humanities, Science or Social Sciences, who want to make a change to a program within one of these faculties, should use the program declaration or change form.

All other faculties

If you want to apply to a different faculty or program use My UVic application

Contact Undergraduate Records if the deadline has passed for the entry term you are applying to.

If you're applying for a professional or limited entry program (e.g. Social Work, Education, Visual Arts), remember to check the relevant application deadlines on the department’s website.

Why isn’t the entry term displayed for the program I’m applying to?

Entry terms are not displayed for programs whose application deadlines have passed. You will need to select a different entry term. If you have questions about which entry term to select, please contact Undergraduate Records.

Which documents are required?

Students who have registered at another university or college are required to state the names of all post-secondary educational institutions attended (including in-progress studies, withdrawals, incomplete and failed studies) and to submit official transcripts of their academic records at these institutions.

Providing incomplete or incorrect information may jeopardize your application. For more information, including the consequences of failing to disclose registration at another post-secondary institution, please review the Penalties for failure to disclose studies elsewhere while attending UVic.

Visiting students must submit a current Letter of Permission from their home institution.

Students applying to professional or limited entry programs (e.g. Social Work, Education, Visual Arts) may need to submit additional documentation as part of their application.  Please check the department’s website for details.

How do I apply for a second bachelor's degree?

You can apply to complete a second bachelor’s degree using My UVic application. A fee of $10.75 applies to second degree applications, in addition to any other fees.

Approval of a second bachelor's degree takes a minimum of 4 - 6 weeks.