There are numerous ways that you can participate in community-engaged learning (CEL) at UVic during your studies. 

Opportunities to participate in community-engaged learning 

Explore below the types of CEL currently practiced at UVic to see how you can get involved and make a difference in the community while completing your studies at UVic. Check out the resources available to support you in your CEL participation. Contact Community-Engaged Learning Coordinator, Rhianna Nagel, for more information, 250-472-5667.


Clinic: Provides practice-based work experience under the supervision of an experienced registered or licensed professional. Unlike practica, which require practice-based work for discipline-specific professional licensure or certification, clinics provide practice-based work experience, but these work experience hours are not required for professional certification.

Community governance project

Community Governance Project: Capstone, community-led project in Indigenous Governance that entails complete immersion in an Indigenous nation (co-supervised by a community leader) that is designed to draw on student’s talents to generate work that is of mutual interest, and can be directly implemented within community (i.e. installation of solar panels, develop radio station, report on Indigenous leadership etc.).

Community service learning

Community Service Learning: Integrates voluntary, unpaid community service that addresses community needs into a credit-bearing course with an explicit educational framework that includes student reflection on the volunteer experience. Reflection enhances understanding of civic engagement and builds connections between the experience and course content. Typically the first four weeks of the course are spent in the classroom learning relevant theory, the following seven weeks are spent doing 30-40 hours of volunteer service, and the final two weeks are again spent in the classroom and include reflection and relation of the experience back to theory.

How to participate: Learn about community service learning courses (CSL) in your program area. CSL courses are full-credit courses that allow you to complete 4 weeks of classroom theory followed by 7 weeks of volunteer community work in an area you are passionate about. See below a list of some CSL courses that have been offered at UVic.

Previous CSL courses

  • Intercultural Service Learning (PAS 209)
  • Issues in the Field of Dispute Resolution: Working in the Community (DR 517)
  • Working in the Community (SOSC 300)

Consulting project

Consulting Project: Involves student interactions working with a client or organization in order to identify and analyze issues or opportunities within the organization and develop a solution or strategy for moving forward.


Co-op: Co-op consists of alternating academic terms and paid work terms, where work terms provide experience in a workplace setting related to the student’s field of study. The number of required work terms varies by program; however, the time spent in work terms must be at least 30% of the time spent in academic study.

How to participate: Learn how you can prticipate in co-op and explore hands-on learning opportunities. Check out co-op funding optionsstudent storiesevents and work term photos to explore the community-engaged learning opportunities available through Co-op and Career Services.


Course Based: Incorporates intensive hands-on learning into the academic classroom setting. This hands-on learning can occur in various ways, for example, community members participate as guest speakers or presenters in the classroom.

Creative or design project

Creative or Design Project: Involves an individual or team-produced project as a central component of the course. Projects provide experience in the design process, from identifying needs or problems through consultation with community partners and determining solutions to prototyping and testing designs. These projects take many forms: artistic, dramatic, or musical projects, graphic design projects, or engineering design projects, for instance.

Creative performance or exhibit

Creative Performance or Exhibit: Involves an individual or team-produced dramatic, artistic, or musical performance, exhibit, or display that is presented to an audience consisting of members other than or in addition to the course instructor and classmates. Thus, creative performances, unlike creative projects, involve student interactions with members of the external community. This performance constitutes a central component of the course.

Field experience

Field Experience: Requires time spent on course-related experiences and assignments in settings other than the typical academic classroom (which includes the lecture hall, laboratory, and seminar or workshop setting). Field experiences may be directed or mediated by the instructor and include a range of time-intensive endeavours that require varying levels of student interaction. For example, field experiences include short-term field trips, field work, and observational activities such as classroom observations or attending a performance. Field experiences involve student interaction with members of the external community. Note that, as a distinctive types of experience, field schools and field placements are classified separately from other field experiences.

How to participate: Learn more and connect with the coordinators that facilitate field experiences to find out how you can participate in this community-engaged learning experience.

Field placement

Field Placement: Provides students with an intensive work experience in a setting relevant to their field of study. Field placements need not require supervision of a registered or licensed professional and the completed work experience hours are not required for professional certification. Field placements account for community-engaged learning experiences not encompassed by other forms, such as co-op, clinic, practicum, and internship.

Field school

Field School: Takes students out of the typical academic classroom (which includes the lecture hall, laboratory, and seminar or workshop setting) and into the field for hands-on study or application of course concepts in a context-relevant environment. Field schools offer an intensive, immersive experience and are often at least three weeks in duration.

How to participate: Learn more about field schools in your program area. See below the list of field schools offered at UVic. 


Indigenous-led land-based learning

Indigenous-led Land-based Learning: Land/water-based learning initiatives that are led by Indigenous nations and provide students with experiential and place-based knowledge that assists in struggle for resurgence and self-determination (i.e. removal of invasive species, regenerating Indigenous food systems, hunting, fishing etc.).


Internship: Offers a discipline-specific, supervised, structured, full-time work experience or practice placement of substantial duration. Internships may occur in the middle of an academic program or after all academic coursework has been completed and prior to graduation. Internships can be of any length, but are typically four, eight, or twelve months long.


Practicum: Involves work experience under the supervision of an experienced registered or licensed professional in any discipline that requires practice-based work experience for professional licensure or certification. Under the supervision of a registered professional university teacher and/or agency practitioner, students may carry modified work assignments commensurate with their knowledge and competency levels

How to participate: Learn more and connect with the placement coordinators that facilitate practicum placements.

Publication or conference presentation

Publication or Conference Presentation: Includes presenting an original paper in a formal academic conference or colloquium, or community setting, publishing an original work, and/or contributing to a publication in an editorial capacity, that involves community consultation.

Research project

Research Project: Involves, as a major course component, a process of substantial discovery, synthesis, and/or application of information to solving a particular problem in an original way. The research process can be undertaken independently or in teams. The application of research is community-based. Although consulting, creative, or design projects may involve research, these are seen as distinctive types of community-engaged learning and are classified separately.

Study abroad or exchange

Study Abroad or Exchange: Entails participation in at least one term of coursework at an international institution. While Exchange indicates that both the international institution and UVic send and receive students to and from each other, Study Abroad does not indicate a reciprocal agreement, and UVic acts as a sending institution only, not also as a receiving institution.

How to participate: Explore how you can participate in an exchange program or study abroad experience. Study abroad experiences include field schools, practicum learning, and independent study abroad.

Check out International Student Services and the Office of Global Engagement for more information including the International Commonsfunding opportunities and the International Opportunties Fair.

Work experience

Work Experience: Intersperses one or two paid work terms into an academic program, where work terms provide experience in a workplace setting related to the student’s field of study. Work experience is a modified, smaller-scale version of co-op.

How to participate: Learn more about how you can participate in work experience and explore hands-on learning opportunities. Check out work experience and co-op funding optionsstudent storiesevents and work term photos to discover community-engaged learning opportunities through Co-op and Career Services.