Certifications and training

Some employers require or recommend you to have specific certifications or training. Learn more about common certifications here, as well as how you can get them.

This list is intended to get you started, but please check with organizations directly for up-to-date information.

First aid and CPR

Fitness, aquatics and outdoor education

Fitness training

  • BC Recreation and Parks Association – Offers courses throughout BC. If you have taken EPHE 141 (Anatomy), EPHE 142b (Physiology) and EPHE 155 (Nutrition), you're eligible to challenge the first module (Theory) and pay only an exam fee (contact BCRPA directly to make those arrangements). You must successfully complete the Theory certification before completing other modules. Check with your local municipal recreation facility, as many offer these courses throughout the year.
  • Canadian Society for Exercise Prescription – Offers Personal Trainer and Exercise Physiologist certifications.
  • Recreation Oak Bay – Offers courses on fitness theory, group fitness, weight training and more.

Outdoor education

Criminal record check

Some employers require that you submit a criminal record check before you start work, especially if you will work with or may potentially have unsupervised access to children or vulnerable adults. There is typically a $50-$70 charge per check, but some employers will cover this cost. The fee is sometimes waived for certain types of volunteer work.

You can get a criminal record check through your local community police station:

In some cases, you can get a criminal record check done by the Commissionaires office. It's generally cheaper and quicker, but they cannot process checks for vulnerable sectors.

Operating vehicles and boats


Boating – Pleasure Craft Operator's Card

You may need this certification if you plan to work in or around boats. You can get this card by taking an accredited Transport Canada boating safety test and scoring at least 75 per cent. Transport Canada recommends that you take a safe boating course before this test. These Victoria companies teach the course and offer testing:

Occupational health and safety

Occupational Health and Safety

UVic Occupational Health, Safety and Environment – Some courses and training sessions are open to students for free either online or in class. If the course fills with UVic staff, students are bumped to a waitlist. However, there are some very useful training seminars here, including WHMIS, ergonomics and bio/lab safety! 

Workplace Hazardous Material Information System (WHMIS) training

WHMIS is Canada's national hazard communication standard. This course trains you to work in environments with hazardous materials. You can complete WHMIS training through:

TB testing

Employers in health care or child care often require you to receive a tuberculosis (TB) test. Current UVic students can receive this test at the UVic Health Services clinic and the cost is covered by provincial health plans.

Hospitality and food service

Computer skills and foundational skills

Business software courses

Connect with these programs to learn Microsoft Office software (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, etc), which is often required to work in office and administrative positions:

Foundational skills courses through Continuing Studies

Continuing Studies at UVic offers a wide range of foundational programs and courses to help you learn the latest technology and software tools. Opportunities include:

See other options through Continuing Studies

Keyboard testing (typing)

Some employers will ask you to complete a keyboard test to prove your typing skills. You should ask if the testing includes both speed and accuracy, as some only test your speed. Improve your typing skills with courses at:

Social media

Leadership and professional development (recreation and youth)

Everybody Gets to Play

Everybody Gets To Play is a Canada-wide initiative led by the Canadian Parks and Recreation Association (CPRA) to make recreation more accessible for low-income children and their families.

Fundamental movement skills

Sport for Life Society – Learn more about physical literacy, which children need to learn before they learn fundamental sport skills.


HIGH FIVE is a system of quality assurance training, resources and tools to support the safety, well-being and healthy development of children aged six to 12 years in sport and recreation settings.

Key Components to Facilitation with Youth

This 7.5-hour training course is facilitated by the SWOVA Community Development and Research Society and focuses on developing your skill in building trust with youth, with a focus on social emotional learning.

In this introductory course, you will gain knowledge and practice with the signature facilitation tools and techniques that we use in our youth programs including: setting the tone,  creating the ideal session structure, using games and improv activities to engage youth, developing group agreements and using practices like the circle to create shared accountability.

Leisure Development Course

The Leisure Development Course is a not-for-profit program providing professional development learning designed for park, recreation, culture and community development personnel.

Strategies for Challenging Behaviours

Strategies for Challenging Behaviours is a three-hour workshop to help those who work with groups of school-age children (especially at-risk children) improve their ability to address challenging behaviour.

Women In Leadership

Women In Leadership – Designed for women by women, this workshop series blends theory with practical applications and provides an opportunity for women working, studying or volunteering in the sport community to share experiences, reflect on ideas and apply specific techniques.