Equity and diversity
UVic is committed to fostering a welcoming environment—one that is equitable, diverse and socially just. These are essential elements in achieving excellence in research and education.
Special efforts and initiatives are required to achieve these goals, particularly in relation to issues concerning women, racialised men and women, persons with a disability, Indigenous persons and sexual and gender minorities.
The role of the diversity adviser
The adviser to the provost on equity and diversity supports units in creating welcoming and diverse learning, teaching and working environments by:
- contributing funding for equity projects and events
- coordinating and communicating equity and diversity on and across campus
- providing advice and information for your unit on the dynamic and changing landscape of equity, diversity, and human rights current practices, policies and new legislation
- organizing the annual Provost’s Diversity Research Forum. The Provost’s Diversity Research Forum, hosted annually by VPAC, attracts more than 300 participants from across campus and our community who value the forum as a space to learn, share and unite.
- supports academic leaders visit working with faculty and librarians, equity planning and equity reporting
A number of resources are available to assist administrators, faculty, librarians, staff and students reach their potential:
- VPAC Equity & Diversity Tool Kit
- Disability and accessibility resource brochure
- Mental and Physical Health promotion
- Student Mental Health Strategy
- Map of Gender Neutral Washrooms
- List of services for the LGBTQ community within the Greater Victoria Region
- List of services for people with disabilities within the Greater Victoria Region
- Faith Resources in Victoria
Equity & Diversity Committee's Terms of Reference
See below for a list of some UVic Equity Committees's Terms of Reference:
- Faculty of Education: Diversity, Belonging and Equity Advisory Group
- Grad Studies Equity Plan
- Faculty of Law, Equity and Diversity Committee Terms of Reference
- The Libraries Equity & Diversity Committee
- Faculty of Social Science Committee on Equity and Diversity
- Division of Continuing Studies Equity and Diversity Committee
Equity & Diversity Surveys and Questionnaires
See below for some examples of equity surveys and questionnaires that have been used to collect equity information in the past, for more information please contact email@example.com
Equity and diversity news and events
Learn more about Canada's Best Diversity Emloyers.
UVic is exceptionally proud to be named one of Canada's best diversity employers.
The annual conference, hosted by VPAC, attracts more than 300 participants from across campus and our community who value the forum as a space to learn, share and unite. Past keynote speakers have included the Honorable Steven L. Point, Lieutenant Governor of B.C.; Senator Lillian Dyck; Senator Vivienne Poy; Senator Jim Munson; Helen Lenskji, University of Toronto; Dorothy Christian, Simon Fraser University; Budd Hall, University of Victoria; and Lorna Williams, University of Victoria.
To learn more about the Diversity Reserach Forum, please visit the conference website.