Exchange 2010 upgrade
We're upgrading our Exchange email server in order to better serve UVic faculty and staff. Benefits of Exchange 2010 include:
- Outlook Web Access browser improvements: Full features of Outlook Web Access (OWA)—previously available only with Internet Explorer—are now available on updated versions of Firefox, Safari, and Chrome.
- Improved calendar sharing: Users have improved calendaring and scheduling features in OWA. Users can also print out calendar views.
- Conversation View: OWA and Outlook 2010 users can use the new Conversation View, which groups together related messages, allowing you to quickly identify recent and related messages.
- Smaller screen size support: OWA has been redesigned to make better use of smaller screens (i.e. on tablets, smart phones, and netbooks).
- System administration improvements: Exchange 2010 provides enhanced architecture, stability, and supportability, which will reduce maintenance costs to the Exchange environment.
What you need to know about the migration
Starting in late August 2012, University Systems will start moving all Exchange 2007 mailboxes to the new Exchange 2010 server. All mailboxes will be moved by early spring 2013.
- You will be notified via email in advance of your mailbox move.
- Each migration will take place after normal working hours (6 p.m. to 6 a.m.) to minimize disruption.
- While your mailbox is being moved, you will not have access to your email. Depending on the size of your mailbox, this process make take a few hours to complete.
- On your scheduled migration day, please shut down any email applications at the end of your work day and power off any unneeded mobile devices.
- It would be very helpful if you clean up your mailbox and delete any unnecessary emails prior to your mailbox migration (including emails in your deleted and sent items folders). This will speed up the migration process.
Changes to email clients
As part of the upgrade process from Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010, you may need to change your email client configuration in order for the application to work properly with Exchange 2010. If you use one of our supported email clients, please be aware of the following changes:
|Client and version||What you need to know||What you need to do|
|Outlook 2007 and 2010||
|Outlook 2011 for Macs||
|iPhone and iPad||
If you use a non-supported email client and experience any oddities, you may have to remove and re-add your account. While doing so, please confirm that your server name is mail.uvic.ca.
|Mac Mail/iCal OS 10.6 and newer||
|Mac Mail/iCal OS 10.5 and older||
|Other mobile devices||
If you have any questions or concerns, please contact your departmental support personnel or the Computer Help Desk:
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Telephone: 250-721-7687
- In person: Clearihue A004 or McPherson Library