Student life activity grant
Since 2011, the Division of Student Affairs at the University of Victoria has provided grants to current graduate and undergraduate students in order to support extracurricular activities or unique opportunities. This year the Office of Student life will continue to support student initiatives through the provision of funds to:
- student initiatives that support the student experience and contribute to student success;
- registration fees for unique learning opportunities where partial funding has already been obtained from an academic or support service;
- travel to national/international competitions, conferences, or educational opportunities which have a positive impact on the campus climate and/or the health & well-being of the student population
- All registered, University of Victoria students are eligible to apply once between September 1 and March 30.
- First-time applicants will receive priority consideration over applicants who have been previously funded, in the event that not all applicants can be funded in a given year.
- Priority will be given to applicants displaying support, including a letter of recommendation and a financial contribution) from their department or faculty for the proposed initiative.
- Grant funding is not available for programs or courses worth academic credit.
In order for a request to be considered, the applicant must identify how this activity will directly impact the campus community at the University of Victoria and how they will impact the greatest number of students possible. Further, they must provide sufficient rationale for how the activity/opportunity will support a positive campus culture through student engagement, contributes to a UVic community of accountability, respect, fairness and safety, and/or provides awareness of student mental health & well-being.
This program will distribute a maximum of $2000 per student or activity per academic year.
Upcoming deadline dates:
- June 30th, 2017
- October 6th, 2017
- December 1st, 2017
- January 26th, 2018
- March 16, 2018
*Please note, applications will be considered for events taking place prior to the deadline date so long as it is occurring in the same academic term.
- To be considered, students must complete the grant funding application form. Applications are accepted throughout the year.
- Grant applications are reviewed every quarter by a panel of Student Affairs representatives.
- The distribution or remittance of approved support funds will be organized on a case-by-case basis that meets both the needs of the applicant and the payment procedures of the University.
To apply, fill out the following form and send it to email@example.com:
Accountability & Recognition
The Office of Student Life will maintain a list of approved grants on the Student Life website in order to provide transparency and accountability. The recipient will also be invited to showcase the outcome/learning of the activity at the Office of Student Life’s annual mental health event.
Successful applicants are required to provide a 5-10 minute presentation on the outcome of the event/activity to the Student Life Activity Grant Committee. The presentation must be completed at one of the two following quarterly committee meetings.
Applicants that do not complete the presentation at one of the following two meeting dates may be required to pay grant money back and/or have a hold put on their UVic account.
Libby Oliver – On behalf of the UVic Art Hive
The UVic Art Hive is a cross-disciplinary mental health and arts project between the Art Education department and Counseling and Psychology department. It is a free, open-studio art space that welcomes all students and community members as artists.
Tahir Chatur – On behalf of the UVic Psychology Peer Mentor Program
The peer mentoring program is designed to help integrate first year university to students into university life by pairing them with upper year students. Mentors ease the transition process by providing companionship and emotional support throughout the semester.