Documentation requirements

What do I need to provide?

You need to provide medical or psychological documentation from the right medical professional with appropriate experience with your diagnosis. 

  • submit electronically to our office through the online pre-intake

Some guidelines for all psychological/medical documentation

Your documentation should have:

  • the professional’s name, title, phone number and address, official stamp or letterhead and signature
  • the date of the assessment
  • a statement of the nature of the disability including any impacts of medication
  • an explanation of the functional impact of the disability on your education
  • recommendations for specific accommodation that will assist in the pursuit of a post-secondary education, linking the accommodation to the impact of the disability

The university does not cover costs related to medical documentation.

A diagnosis of disability alone does not guarantee academic accommodations.

The following professionals can diagnose and provide medical documentation as recognized by the Ministry of Advanced Education and the University of Victoria:

  • Physical or mobility: a physician
  • Visual impairment: an ophthalmologist, optometrist or orthoptist
  • Hard of hearing or Deaf: a certified audiologist
  • Neurological: a neurologist, neuropsychologist, psychiatrist or physician
  • Psychiatric/mental health condition: a clinical psychologist, psychiatrist, or physician with expertise in that area
  • Learning disability: a registered clinical psychologist or certified school psychologist