How do I make an appointment?

Visit Counselling Services in the University Centre, B270 between 8:30am and 4:30pm, Monday to Friday, or phone us at 250-721-8341

How much does it cost?

As long as you are a currently enrolled and attending UVic student, there is no charge for any individual or group counselling. The exceptions are the online career assessments.

What do I need to bring?

You don’t need to bring anything with you. Anything you need during your session will be provided.

How many sessions do I get? How often can I come?

We offer short term counselling. We will schedule one initial appointment for you and then the number of additional sessions and the frequency of your visits will be decided upon between you and your counsellor. 

What does Counselling Services offer?

Counselling Services offers short-term counselling for students whose problems are interfering with their performance or well-being. This includes personal counselling, career counselling and attendance in our groups and workshops.

How long does it take to get in? How can I get in sooner?

Appointments and walk-in sessions are available daily. Walk-in appointments are on a first-come, first-serve basis. Students are encouraged to come early in order to see a counsellor for the walk-in sessions.

During busy times, regular appointments can take up to 2 weeks before seeing a counsellor. Please call Counselling Services to discuss the possibility of seeing a counsellor sooner when in need.

Where are you located?

We are located in the University Centre building, second floor, room B270.

Can I request a specific counsellor/counsellor with a specific area of specialty?

Yes, you can request a specific counsellor. All of our counsellors are generalists, but some of them have specific areas of interest. Please check staff bios to see whether there is someone who sounds like a good fit for you.

I am a past student, can I still attend?

Our services are for currently registered and attending UVic students. Please see our list of private practice therapists who offer sliding scale for students and recent graduates.

What if I need more regular appointments or further help?

You can either contact us at the front desk or speak with your counsellor about options for getting in to see someone on a more frequent basis. If we are still not able to provide you with enough support, your counsellor can provide some information about resources and support either on-campus or in the community. We also provide an private practice therapist list

Where can I find information for parent/families of UVic students?

The Office of Student Life has developed an overview of resources, supports and services that you may find helpful as a parent of a UVic student. In particular, it is helpful to understand how confidentiality works and is maintained at the University Of Victoria, as well as at Counselling Services.