Learning beyond the classroom
At UVic, learning involves so much more than listening to a lecture.
- Biochemistry and microbiology students develop cutting-edge lab skills in well-equipped teaching labs. They hone their independence through honours programs with world-renowned researchers.
- Biology undergrads get involved in key research areas of marine environments and the brain. They participate in field courses at the Bamfield Marine Sciences Centre or on our marine science vessel, monitor the ocean floor with VENUS and NEPTUNE researchers, join our neuroscience faculty researchers and teachers.
- Chemistry students get hands-on research doing NSERC-funded research, research course work, and engaging in ICE and RISE student exchanges.
- Our math students tutor their peers and volunteer in fun math camps and activities.
- Show our community the stars! As paid and volunteer assistants, astronomy undergraduates help show off our new telescope and the research we do through our astronomy open houses.
- Students in earth and ocean sciences get into the field with the earth science field school and advanced field geography courses including earth sciences honours and majors.
Co-op programs allow students to alternate working in their field of study for government, industry and academic employers. It's a great way to get valuable experience, make connections with employers, and earn some decent money to pay tuition. Every field in science has a co-op program with connection to local, regional, national and international employers.
Here you'll be challenged to learn in new and dynamic ways. It's a great opportunity to sample areas within your field and explore your career options before you graduate.
Departmental co-op information
Check each department for information on their co-op program.