*Job submission by appointment only*
Room: Elliott 029 (Basement) Phone: 250-721-7721
Hours of Service
Monday - Friday 8:30am - 4:30pm. The shop is closed all other hours, weekends and holidays.
No one is permitted to enter or work in the shop after hours without the express permission of the shop supervisor.
- Science undergraduate laboratories. Labour is not charged, however, parts costs are recovered.
- Science research laboratories. Labour is not charged, however, parts costs are recovered.
- Non-Science departments/units on campus whether for teaching or research. Labour is charged at $50/hour and parts costs are recovered.
No tool, equipment, or facility is to be used for commercial purposes nor shall any tool or item of equipment be removed from the shop without the approval of the shop staff.The shop machinists will be responsible for completing jobs that are brought into the shop. Any other eligible user wishing to use shop equipment or tools must seek the permission of shop staff, demonstrate competence with the use of the equipment and basic shop practices, and have a shop staff member present. Eligible users may include:
- Senior Physics & Astronomy undergraduate students
- Faculty of Science graduate students
- Faculty of Science faculty, research personnel and staff
Job submissions must use the web form below and consultations will be arranged as soon as possible, usually between 8:30 and noon. A description, drawing, sample or prototype of the job to be done is desirable. The machinist assigned to the job will discuss the requirements in detail with the customer, and work with them to achieve the desired results.
All customers are responsible for notifying their respective supervisor prior to consultation with shop staff, and a FAST account number must accompany all work to be completed, even if it is determined that there will be no charge.