Why study Mathematics or Statistics at UVic?
- The University of Victoria is a great place for learning. It’s not surprising that Maclean’s magazine consistently ranks UVic as one of the top comprehensive universities in Canada. With over 19,000 students, UVic combines the best features of both small and large universities. Learn more about UVic.
- The university's lush green campus is located in the suburb of a beautiful medium sized city.
- Our instructors will inspire and be supportive of all students regardless of your major.
- You can choose to combine math or statistics with a variety of other disciplines to give you a broader education and expertise in more than one area.
- We offer a co-op program so you can gain valuable work experience and earn while you learn.
What can I do with a degree in Mathematics or Statistics?
Our mathematicians and statisticians are highly sought after for their analytical and problem solving skills. Do a Career Builder search using the the keywords "mathematics", "statistics", or "applied mathematics” to see what career might be in your future. You might be surprised at the wide range of industries looking for math and stats experience.
- See the Math Drives Careers poster and essay from Mathematics Awareness Month.
- Fight cancer with numbers
- Help Chloe O’Brian decrypt the intercepted message before the big red LED display counts down to zero again. Or failing that, develop encryption algorithms for industry in more reasonable time frames.
- Use mathematical models to prevent swine flu pandemics, or the spread of invasive bullfrogs from Elk Lake.
- Use statistics to improve doctors’ abilities to predict how long terminally-ill patients have to live.
- Design models to reverse climate change.
- Help design clinical trials to test everything from cancer therapies to the next Viagra.
- Help the the FBI solve crimes as depicted in the TV series Numb3rs. Learn about the math behind the show at Cornell and Wolfram.
- Get rich analyzing the stock market for brokerage firm.
- Use spatiotemporal data to figure out the relationship between forest fires and forest diseases.
- Teach math at all levels from elementary schools to universities.
- Join UVic’s prestigious math and statistics graduate program.
- Apply high-level math and problem solving skills to any career.
- Create a chaotic triple pendulum.
External Mathematics and Statistics links
- American Mathematical Society: Mathematical Moments
- American Statistical Association Careers in Statistics
- Canadian Mathematical Society Math at Work
- Consortium for Mathematics and its Applications
- Data Scientist: The Sexiest Job of the 21st Century
- Mathematics Association of America Careers
- Math Matters, Apply It!