Prospective graduate students
Applications and inquiries are accepted year-round, but apply by March 15 to be eligible for a Graduate Fellowship for September entry.
How to apply
- Contact potential supervisors to determine whether they are accepting new students. Students must be accepted by a specific supervisor as well as by the department. Some currently available positions are listed, but prospective students are encouraged to contact ANY faculty members in the department with their enquiries.
- Apply online through the Graduate Admissions and Records Office. Make sure your application includes: application fee, a letter of intent, official transcripts, and two letters of reference (have all of these sent to UVic Graduate Studies). Although it is no longer mandatory to submit recent GRE scores (General and/or Biology), we encourage students to do so.
All students accepted into the program are guaranteed a minimum annual stipend of $18,000/year for two years for MSc an and $18,000/year for three years for PhD. Funding is available in additional years of the program but the minimum is no longer enforced. The stipend can be made up from a combination of:
- National or provincial scholarships (NSERC). NSERC award holders receive additional funding from the university.
- UVic Fellowships (minimum GPA 7.5).
- Departmental awards (applications received annually in September).
- Teaching assistantships/ lab instructor positions (more information is available from firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Support payments from faculty research grants.
Admission to the MSc program:
Admission requires a bachelor’s degree, preferably in Biology or Biochemistry, with a minimum overall average of 6.5 on the University of Victoria 9-point scale. To be eligible for UVic Graduate Fellowships, a minimum overall average of A-/7.0 on the University of Victoria 9-point scale is required.
Applicants with a GPA of less than 6.5 (B+/A-) or its equivalent in their last two years of work will not normally be recommended for admission by the department of Biology.
Admission to the PhD program:
Admission to the PhD program will normally require an MSc in Biology or Biochemistry, with a GPA of A- or 7.0 on the University of Victoria 9-point scale.
All MSc and PhD candidates admitted to the department of Biology are expected to have or to make up a background knowledge of basic biology of at least equivalent to that of a BSc student graduating from this department.