First-year residence guarantee
If you're a current high-school student in your graduating year, we guarantee you a space for your first year in residence.
To be eligible for the first-year guarantee, you must meet the following criteria by June 30:
- Graduate from high school in 2017
- Not attend a post-secondary institution (college or university) prior to attending UVic
- Accept your offer of admission to UVic and pay your acceptance deposit of $200 to the university
Before you begin your residence application, make sure you have your NetLink ID and an email address that you will use for at least the next 12 months. You will need to pay the non-refundable $50 application fee by credit card or debit. This fee is paid online as part of the application process.
Apply for residence between February 15 and June 30. If we receive your application after this date, you will be added to our waitlist.
The application for the 2017-18 academic year opens on February 15 and the deadline is June 30. Applications received after June 30 will not be eligible for the first-year guarantee but will be placed on a waitlist.
When you apply, you will be able to rank up to five preferences for housing type (including selecting a building, room type and a community). We will try our best to accommodate your preferences but we are unable to guarantee your request for a particular type of accommodation.
- You will receive a room offer from Residence Services via email between May and August. The timing of room offers is not related to the date you apply. If you meet the criteria for the first-year residence guarantee, we guarantee you a room.
- If you receive your room offer between May and July, you have seven days to accept the offer by paying the $500.00 non-refundable acceptance fee and the $250 security deposit and emailing us the signed Residence Contract.
- If you receive your room offer in August, you have 48 hours to accept your offer by paying the $500.00 non-refundable acceptance fee and the $250 security deposit, emailing us the signed Residence Contract and paying your Term 1 fees in full.
- If you submit your acceptance fee, security deposit or completed contract after the deadline, your room offer will be cancelled. If your offer is cancelled, you must contact us about availability.
- Review our move-in guide to make sure your move-in experience is a smooth one.
- If you wish to cancel your residence application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Applications are non-transferable. Your application fee is non-refundable and may not be used towards a future application.
- If you cancel your housing application by September 1, you will lose your $500 acceptance deposit.
- If you cancel your housing application on September 2, you will lose your $500 acceptance fee and your $250 security deposit.
- If you cancel on or after September 3 (move-in day), you will lose 60 days of accommodation and your $250 security deposit. For meal plan cancellation penalties, please check with Food Services.