Facts & figures
- In 2012-13 UVic received over $120 million in research income.
- Since 2010, UVic has been ranked by Times Higher Education as the top-ranked university in Canada without a medical school. In early 2013, THE also ranked UVic first in Canada and number 20 globally among universities less than 50 years old.
- The 2013 Leiden University rankings put UVic ahead of all other Canadian universities in the proportion of internationally co-authored research, based on scientific publications issued from 2008-2011. UVic also retains its place in the top one per cent of universities in the world and among the top-ranked in Canada for scientific impact.
- UVic's economic contribution to its surrounding communities is approximately $3.2 billion annually, with the biggest influence coming from research ($1.27 billion) and the impact of higher education on salaries.
- UVic has also been lauded as one of Canada's most inventive universities according to a report released by The Impact Group in September 2012.
- UVic holds 38 coveted Canada Research Chairs. Learn more about our CRCs.
- 64 of UVic’s scholars, scientists and artists – including current, former and adjunct faculty members – have been peer-elected as Fellows of the Royal Society of Canada, the national academy comprising the best in all fields of study.”Learn more about UVic’s research awards and honours.
- Visit UVic’s annual review site for highlights stories of discovery, accomplishment and collaboration with our global community that exemplify the UVic vision.
Continued success in external research grant competitions at the national level attests to the importance and high quality of research conducted by UVic faculty and graduate students. Click on the graph to the right for more detail on UVic’s research income.
Learn more about our rankings.