The Centre for Co-operative and Community-Based Economy at the University of Victoria invites applications from University of Victoria faculty members on sabbatical leave for any portion of the year, for a fellowship of up to 12 months, beginning no earlier than July 1, 2013.
The 2013/2014 fellowship application deadline is October 31, 2012.
The purpose of the fellowship is to provide scholars working on research projects related to co-operative and community-based economics with supplementary funding, suitable space on campus, and a stimulating environment conducive to writing and reflection during a sabbatical period.
The centre welcomes applications from all disciplinary backgrounds for projects that promote the scholarly study of subjects related to co-operative and community-based economic arrangements. "Co-operative and community-based economy" is taken to refer to collective undertakings, not necessarily co-operatives:
- aimed at providing the needs and wants of some community or group, where any profits are a means of supplying those needs and wants,
- managed autonomously and by democratic processes, and
- in which persons and their participation are given priority over capital in the distribution of any surplus.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to: conditions, including policies, that give rise to, or inhibit, co-operative and community-based economic activity; the relations between co-operative and community-based economic organizations and other forms of enterprise; examinations of sectoral organizations (health, housing, agriculture, etc.); issues of representation and participation in co-operative and community-based economic arrangements; the history, sociology, and/or anthropology of co-operative and community-based economic models; and co-operative and community-based arrangements as an instrument for sustainable community development, including Indigenous settings.
Faculty members on sabbatical leave, with a tenure-track or tenured appointment at the University of Victoria and who have a defined research project in hand will be considered.
- $1,500 for a year or $750 for one six-month term, and
- office space (including wireless Internet, fax, and copy services) in the centre's premises in University House 2.
Fellows are expected to:
- conduct their work in their CCCBE office a minimum of two days/week;
- participate actively in the programs and activities of the centre;
- acknowledge the CCCBE in all publications arising from the fellowship and deposit one copy of such publications for the centre's library and/or website.
Applications should include:
- a covering letter;
- a descriptive title of the research area;
- a detailed statement of the research proposal in a form that makes the applicant's intentions fully understandable to experts in his or her own discipline (maximum of five pages);
- a current curriculum vitae; and
- letters of reference from three scholars who might support the proposed project. The centre may also choose to solicit the opinions of other referees.
Application forms should be submitted in electronic form to Dr. Ana Maria Peredo, Centre for Co-operative and Community-Based Economy, University of Victoria. Email applications to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Selection will be made by the CCCBE Program Committee based on the academic merit of the proposal, the views of the referees, and the recent scholarly activity of the candidate. Proposals submitted outside of the regular application deadline schedule may also be considered at the discretion of the director.
Dr. Rita Schreiber - 2012/2013 Sabbatical Fellowship
Download our Sabbatical Fellowship PDF.