The Centre for Co-operative and Community-Based Economy at the University of Victoria invites applications from interested members of the non-academic community or scholars with no formal university affiliation to take part as community fellows for one to two months, in the stimulating life of enquiry at our centre.
The 2013/2014 fellowship application deadlines are:
October 31, 2012 for a fellowship between January and April 2013
February 15, 2013 for a fellowship between September and December 2013
The purpose of the fellowship is to provide an opportunity for experiences community practitioners (e.g., community or co-operative developers, leaders of community development initiatives, and others interested in co-operative, community-oriented enterprise) to pursue a course of enquiry aimed at contributing to co-operative and community-based economy.
The centre is committed to studying and supporting the co-operative and community-based economy. That is taken to refer to collective undertakings, not necessarily co-operatives:
- aimed at providing the needs and wants of some community or group, where any profits are a means of supplying those needs and wants,
- managed autonomously and by democratic processes, and
- in which persons and their participation are given priority over capital in the distribution of any surplus.
- A stipend of $1,250 per month for up to a maximum of two months, and
- office space (including computer, wireless Internet, fax, and copy services) in the centre's premises in University House 2.
Fellows are expected to:
- conduct their work in their CCCBE office a minimum of 2 days per week;
- participate actively in the programs and activities of the centre (e.g. weekly Friday Munch, Speaker Series, Distinguished Speaker, workshops and other events hosted by the Centre);
- acknowledge the CCCBE in all resources arising from the fellowship and deposit one copy of such resources for the centre's library nand/or website.
Applications should include:
- a covering letter which includes the period of time that is requested for the fellowship;
- a concise statement of the problem or issue to be explored;
- a description of the methodology to be used, (e.g. literature review/ analysis of published works such as: books, websites, films, other published resources;
- a description of the projected outcome of the project. Community fellows are encouraged to create a resource or handbook/guide for community-based organizations;
- a preliminary bibliography;
- a current curriculum vitae;
- clearly identify affiliation with an organization that you belong to and who supports this research application;
- where applicable, a supporting letter indicating the employer's approval of the release time and the project objectives; and
- three letters of reference that support the fellowship application.
Application forms should be submitted in electronic form. Paper copies will be accepted only for supporting material (e.g. reference letters).
Completed applications should be submitted to Dr. Ana Maria Peredo, Centre for Co-operative and Community-Based Economy, University of Victoria. Email applications to email@example.com or mail them to University House 2, Room 109, PO Box 3060, Victoria, BC V8W 3R4.
Selection will be made by the CCCBE Program Committee based on the merit of the proposal, the alignment with the mission of the centre, the views of the referees, and the recent associated activity of the candidate. Proposals submitted outside of the regular application deadline schedule may also be considered at the discretion of the director.
- Saje Fitzgerald - 2012/2013 Community Research Fellow
- Jeanette Sheehy - 2011/2012 Community Research Fellow
- Mark Reed - 2011/2012 Community Research Fellow
- Paula Johanson - 2011/2012 Community Research Fellow
- Don Brown - 2010/2011 Community Research Fellow
- Stuart Hertzog - 2010/2011 Community Research Fellow
- Tamara Schwartzentruber - 2010/2011 Community Research Fellow
- Ashley Akins - 2009/2010 Community Research Fellow
Download our Community Fellowship PDF.