Department Name and Code Changes
Official university departments are determined through the Board of Governors and are added to the CODES tables. Requests for additions to UVic departmental codes, for administrative units or changes to department/unit names, are considered by the Codes Committee and distributed to a restricted list for updates.
Department code forms
Choose one of the following forms to initiate a department-code addition or change:
- New department code form
- Change department name form
- Merge two department codes form
- Remove department code form
Once a request is processed, an email will be sent to associated departments (i.e., Payroll, Facilities, Computer Help Desk), to notify them of the change.
Department code information
- Departments are established via Senate and receive approval from the Board of Governors.
- Departmental units may also be added by Codes Committee consensus, in order to facilitate University records maintenance.
- Numeric codes are assigned in Banner by technical staff. Alpha codes (letters only, no numbers or special characters) are assigned by Codes Committee consensus.
- Only one alpha code is permitted per department.
- If only the department name is changing, the Committee will usually approve retention of the mnemonic (the old code) and a change to the department name.
- If a code-change request reflects a change in organizational structure, the Committee will normally approve the change after an effective date is set for the actual use of the code—this allows time for other UVic systems to incorporate the code change.
- Codes are not normally added for research projects or for mailing purposes.
- Code requests are initiated by submitting a request using the appropriate form (see above).
How the code changes are made
After the Codes Committee reaches consensus, codes are added in Banner Student (STVDEPT and SOAXREF), and the following areas are notified to incorporate the change:
- Web services
- Netlink accounts
- Mail services
- Facilities Management
- Human Resources
- Telephone Services
- email@example.com for directory changes. After the changes have been made in Banner, the Computer Help Desk will follow up with the directory administrators in the event the directory change does not happen. For more information, visit the University Systems help centre.