UVic Libraries supports users with a disability by providing several specialized facilities and services in each of our libraries: McPherson/Mearns Centre for Learning, the Curriculum Library and the Diana M. Priestly Law Library.
Specialized facilities and services
Our Adaptive Technology rooms offer specialized software, in addition to the standardized MS Office productivity software, and adaptable workstations to support patrons with print-based and learning disabilities.
They are open to all UVic students, faculty and staff during library hours, with priority given to those who require use of the specialized technology or adaptable workstations/equipment in the room.
Adaptive Technology rooms cannot be pre-booked. Each room has multiple workstations for all students to share.
- McPherson Library - Main floor, Rooms 113e and 113f
- Law Library - Main floor, Room 172
See PDF for a list of available software and hardware.
Priority workspaces are marked with the standardized accessibility decal. See PDF for a listing of priority workspaces by type and location.
Contact the respective loan desk for assistance in locating or accessing any of the workspaces:
McPherson loan desk (250-721-8230)
Curriculum loan desk (250-721-7900)
Law loan desk (250-721-8565)
Respite rooms are available in the McPherson Library and the Law Library; use is subject to availability. Request access at the loan desks; photo ID will be required. Occupants are requested to leave the room clean and tidy; cleaning supplies are provided.
- McPherson Library - Main floor, Room 132: Hospital bed with lift, easy chair, and adjustable lighting
- Law Library - Second floor, Room 258: Hospital bed, easy chair with foot stool, and adjustable lighting
Appointing a designate:
You can appoint a designate (a friend, a family member, an attendant, etc.) to access your library account on your behalf (e.g. sign out, renew or recall items; pay library fines) for a specified timeframe. To do so, and to be in compliance with the the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act, we require written consent.
Authorizing a proxy:
You can authorize a proxy (e.g. a research assistant, a teaching assistant) to borrow library materials on your account for a specified timeframe; normally, this service is limited to faculty and staff. To authorize a proxy you, as the sponsor, may submit the online application form.
- All library notifications are sent to the proxy sponsor's email address
- Proxy patrons are unable to recall books on your behalf
- To enable your proxy to place interlibrary loan requests on your behalf, contact our Interlibrary Loan staff (250-721-8236)
If you require our library materials in an alternate format, including course reserves, fill out the form below or contact the loan desk (firstname.lastname@example.org). However, if you require materials in an alternate format and we do not have the materials in our collection contact Interlibrary Loan (email@example.com or 250-721-8234).
UVic Libraries will work with you to get what you need in a timely way; turn-around time is on an item-by-item basis.
Submit request here
The file(s) being provided are prepared in accordance with the Canadian Copyright Act. By downloading these files you are agreeing to retain them for your use only.
Book retrieval is available for individuals who require help retrieving items from our collections.
- McPherson Library: 250-721-8230 firstname.lastname@example.org
- Law Library: 250-721-8565 email@example.com
- Curriculum Library: 250-721-7900 firstname.lastname@example.org
If we are unable to retrieve your items immediately they will be made available for pick up at the loan desk.
Need research help? Ask us!
Contact your subject librarian who can provide specialized help with your research. Or, visit the Research Help Desk at McPherson Library or the Law Library.
Mearns Centre for Learning
- All floors are accessible by elevator
- Washrooms in the lower level and on the third floor are wheelchair accessible
- Washrooms in the BiblioCafé are wheelchair accessible; one is also equipped with a lift
Diana M Priestly Law Library
- All floors are accessible by elevator
- Washrooms on the first floor are wheelchair accessible
MacLaurin Building, D201
- Washrooms located outside library on the second floor are wheelchair accessible
How can we improve our services?
Contact Shailoo Bedi, Director, Academic Commons and Strategic Assessment