The International Commons is a welcoming space within the McPherson Library's Learning Commons where students can study, connect and access a variety of programs and resources designed to support academic success.
Are you an international student looking for strategies and techniques to improve your academic performance?
The International Academic Success Program provides one-on-one help with a learning strategist.
Learning strategists can help you:
- Develop effective strategies for academic success
- Improve your skills for time management, reading, exam preparation and notetaking
- Gain a better cultural understanding of the Canadian university classroom
- Set and achieve your academic goals
Starting September 12, 2016, visit the International Commons:
- Mondays from 1:00pm to 5:00pm
- Tuesdays from 1:00pm to 5:00pm
- Wednesdays from 9:00am to 1:00pm
- Thursdays from 9:00am to 1:00pm
- Fridays from 1:00pm to 5:00pm
To learn more about this free program contact Tricia Best, ISS Associate Director.
Conversation cafés provide opportunities for you to practice your skills in a variety of languages, such as German, Italian, Japanese, Mandarin, Russian and Spanish.
Sessions are facilitated by UVic graduate students, and are open to all UVic students, faculty and staff on a drop-in basis, regardless of language proficiency.
Refer to the 2016 fall term schedule for dates, times and locations.
International undergraduate students in the faculties of Humanities, Science or Social Sciences can meet one-on-one with academic advisers at the International Commons.
If you have questions about your degree program requirements or are experiencing difficulties with your academic courses, meet with an adviser to discuss your situation.
- Advising appointments in the International Commons are held on Thursdays from 1:00-4:00 p.m.
- Pre-book your appointment by emailing email@example.com, or sign up for a same-day appointment when you arrive.
Students in other faculties can arrange appointments directly with their academic advisers.
Contact International Student Services to learn more about the International Commons.