Services and resources
Who we support
The HCMC offers its services at no charge to members of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Victoria. We also collaborate with colleagues in other faculties on campus and in other institutions. Please contact us to discuss your situation and how we may be able to assist.
The tabs below list the kinds of tasks we've worked on for researchers, instructors, departmental staff people and working students. For more details, click on the links in the tabs or on the items in the column on the left.
- If you have an idea for a project or a collection of data, we can help you develop a proposal.
- If you are considering applying for a grant or writing a specification, we can help with those components of your application that deal with technology.
- If you are planning or managing a project (website, utility program, database or multimedia work), we offer consulting, workstations and other resources.
- If you need help with the writing of application software, websites or databases for your project, we offer highly skilled developers and more.
- If you need help training and supervising research assistants or work-studies by expert developers, we can provide that.
- We can consult on and create instructional websites and software to assist in your teaching.
- We can help you prepare content for a variety of uses, whether it be text, images, audio or video.
- We have specific expertise in teaching Humanities Computing, if that is an area you need to cover in your course.
- If you wish to use the Computer Assisted Language Lab drop-in room or a specialized language lab in your teaching, please see the CALL site.
Departments, programs, research groups
- We can write or help you write a website for your department, program, research group etc. whether it's in Cascade or not.
- We provide a simple on-line voting system for committee appointments, referenda etc.
We support students working as a research assistant, work-study or similar on a professor-led project. We do not provide resources for completion of course work to students.