How to get services
We welcome drop-in enquiries, or you can email or phone the department or individual members to discuss your situation and how we may be able to assist. We offer our services at no or very low charge to members of the Faculty of Humanities at the University of Victoria. We also collaborate with colleagues in other faculties on campus and in other institutions.
For small, simple requests, we may be able to respond immediately. For requests that entail more significant commitments of our resources, we'll help you through the appropriate project proposal process depending on the scale and complexity of your needs.
The demands on our time far exceed the supply, so we will likely need advance notice to integrate your request with the overall work flow. The amount of notice necessary varies with the size and complexity of your project - large projects may need months of advance notice.
We support the work of researchers, instructors, departmental or project staff and students. Click on the tabs below for more details.
- If you have an idea for a project or a collection of data, we can help you develop a proposal.
- If you are considering applying for a grant or writing a specification, we can help with those components of your application that deal with technology.
- If you are planning or managing a project (website, utility program, database or multimedia work), we offer consulting, workstations and other resources.
- If you need help with the writing of application software, websites or databases for your project, we offer highly skilled developers and more.
- If you need help training and supervising research assistants or work-studies by expert developers, we can provide that.
- We can consult on and create instructional websites and software to assist in your teaching.
- We can help you prepare content for a variety of uses, whether it be text, images, audio or video.
- We have specific expertise in teaching Humanities Computing, if that is an area you need to cover in your course.
- If you wish to use the Computer Assisted Language Lab drop-in room or a specialized language lab in your teaching, please see the CALL site.
Departments, programs, research groups
- We can write those or help you write a website for your department, program, research group etc. whether its in Cascade or not..
- We provide an on-line voting system for committee appointments, referenda etc.
The HCMC supports students working as a research assistant, work-study or similar on a professor-led project. We do not provide resources for completion of course work directly to students.